My sink is burping

Users who are viewing this thread

Schook

Reaction score
Our contractor just installed our toilet and sink, and I noticed this morning that whenever you flush the toilet a small "burp" of water comes out of the sink drain. What causes this, and is it something I should ask the contractor to fix? Also, please tell me that this water is not sewage from the toilet!

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
Sounds like a drain or vent problem.

Are there some more details you could give us?

New home or an older home etc.

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
Schook said:
Our contractor just installed our toilet and sink, and I noticed this morning that whenever you flush the toilet a small "burp" of water comes out of the sink drain. What causes this, and is it something I should ask the contractor to fix? Also, please tell me that this water is not sewage from the toilet!

It sounds to me like your sink is downline from the toilet and not properly vented. Hence, the toilet discharge is causing some pressure in the waste line, and that pressure is pushing air toward your sink trap that is full of the sink-water discharge you see coming back out ... and yes, you need the services of a good plumber who would have done things properly the first time.

Schook

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. It is an old house (1923), but the bathroom is just about finished being newly renovated. As part of the renovation, we moved the locations of both the sink and the toilet. We did not have this problem before. It sounds like my contractor screwed up.

The "burp" is small right now. Is this something that will get worse, or lead to other issues down the road if it's not fixed?

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
Schook said:
The "burp" is small right now. Is this something that will get worse, or lead to other issues down the road if it's not fixed?

The burp might be a little larger or smaller from one time to the next, and the air coming out is definitely some "other-issue sewage air" you do not want in your house.

Do you know whether your system is vented anywhere? Our house here was built in 1920, and there was no vent at all when we bought it about 2-1/2 years ago.

Your contractor should have updated your plumbing by adding a vent if you do not have one, and if he actually has much plumbing experience, he should know why you had no problem before and why you have one now. His price for your job would probably have been a little higher if a vent had been installed, so he is not likely to come back now and install one for free.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks