1/2 bath to full bath

Users who are viewing this thread

ScottTENN

Reaction score
I have a 1/2 bath rough-in in a basement. I have the space to create a full bath. Is is possible to add a shower without breaking the concrete floor for drainage? Can the shower be raised, step up and in? That way all the drainage goes under the step and into the wall? Also, I have been reading about venting. I'm assuming that showers have to be vented too. What can that be tied to? It is not sewer water, so can it be tied to the sink vent? I'm not a plumber by any stretch but I'm also making the assumption that a "rough-in" bath has all the venting for the sink too.

Thanks,
Scott

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
ScottTENN said:
... into the wall? ....

yes you can raise the floor. Where will you get the height and space you need for the P trap? You'll need to dig a hole for the P trap or you'll need to raise the floor a lot.

didn't understand that last sentence.

yes, probably, you'll get the venting you need from the sink vent. Depends on layout, geometry, shapes.. and not on the fact that it is a sink vent, so NO the strict answer is no, it is not because it is the sink vent that it'll provide the venting you need.

only a diagram shows layout. Words are not enough.

david

ScottTENN

Reaction score
Thanks. I guess I will have to put a small hole in the basement. I was hoping to avoid that. Does the hole need to be filled in with anything, even if it isnt all the way through? When connecting vents, do they have to have an upwward route? Obviously drains have to have a downward route. Can a vent have some turns in it? Or does it need to be as straight as possible. (I cant provide a picture because this all hypothetical since I'm not in the house yet.)

Thanks again.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A vent can be run to fit. It should have a downward slope in case any water gets in it (say rain, or condensation), but turns aren't a problem. Don't worry so much about making a hole in the concrete, it's not as big a deal as you are making it. A raised shower looks funky, and isn't really the safest plus you will lose a fair amount of headroom.

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
where to learn about vents?

good questions about constraints re: building vent routes. I don't know enough factually to answer you with any certain knowledge; I haven't taken the plumbing course, and I have never yet seen on the internet any resource on vents.

So, if you or anyone find and post a link, I'll go there and read it all.

The hole is more like an indent or depression; it won't cross through the slab.

david

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
shower

I get the impression that you are about to create a "handyman's" shower, which will be done as cheaply as possible, regardless of future considerations, such as will a possible buyer want a shower they have to step up into, and which was probably done without a permit or inspection. And if so, what else was done that way in the building.

ScottTENN

Reaction score
I dont plan to do it cheap. I do want to know my options. I have a hard time thinking about putting a hole in a foundation. I have never had a leaky basement and I dont want one. and really dont want it if it was because of a hole i put in it, lol. I'm just looking to arm myself with some knowledge. I have read several of the other posts on similar veins on this board and got some good advise and rasied some of my questions. If i find that I need to sub some of this out then I want to know that what Im being told is true. a little knowledge never hurts.

Inspections will be done. I dont mind doing the sweating to save the money and just have someone come in to make the final gas or electric connection. I will just get it all in place.

Thanks, great board!

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
Post a diagram

good!

Post a diagram showing your basement layout including all drains as they are now, so people can comment on what your options are. Later, you do have the right to elevate a floor too. With all the drawbacks that have been expressed so far.

I didn't understand the logic you may have had in mind when you linked future possible "leaks" in the basement with new "holes" in the slab. No need to comment on that now; it'll get cleared up later.

david

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks