Toilet Too Far From Wall

Users who are viewing this thread

Schook

Reaction score
We are having the bathroom in our old house remodeled. We asked the contractor to install a new Toto toilet in a different location in the bathroom. He said it would be no problem. But now it's installed and is six inches (!) away from the wall. It looks terrible, but he says there's nothing that can be done about it because of something do with the floor joists. While it seems clear that he screwed up, I guess the bigger question is what, if anything, can be done about this now? Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I simply don't know enough to know whether this guy's just trying to avoid the cost of repairing the problem.

Sorry for the duplication, but I also posted this on the remodel forum since I wasn't sure which was the right category.

Thanks!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
He may be right.
Standard "rough in" would have been 12" from the wall for the drain. That would have left 1" behind the tank.

Without seeing the floor joist he was dealing with, it's tough to say if it could have been closer.

I think most plumbers would have made the homeowner aware of it before things were closed up.
Sometimes there are things that can be done, even if it's reframing the floor system, heading off joists, moving heating ducts, gee, it tough to say without seeing what he saw.

Cookie

Reaction score
My 2 cents worth is this, if it doesn't leak, honestly, I wouldn't care if it sat in the middle of the room, let alone just 6 inches. I would call it good. But, I am not a plumber either. :)

You might be able to put a nice tall cabinet situated behind it, with a nice plant on the side. That is what I have on mine. Then, I doubt anyone would even notice.

Last edited:

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
I put a Kohler Cimarron in today and the tank sets 4.5" off the wall. I told them to crush down a full box of kleenex's a little bit to get a tight fit between the wall and the tank, take a thin piece of cardboard or wood and then cover it with one of those decorative table placemats over the new shelf space on top the toilet tank and put the another damn box of kleenex's on top the toilet!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks