Install bathroom near laundry?

Users who are viewing this thread

otterj

Reaction score
Hi,
I would like to do a garage conversion to living space. The garage has plumbling for laundry and is built on concrete slab. I called a plumbing contractor and he said that the 2" laundry plumbling is not sufficient for a bathroom, and that I would need to jackhammer to 3" drain lines. Is this true? Are there special toilets or other workarounds, especially if I don't get a permit?

Thanks a million,
Jill

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
3" is the minimum size drain for a toilet. You also have vent considerations that need to be addressed. Why do some people think that licensed professionals will lie to them?

otterj

Reaction score
Thanks

Thanks for your help and confirmation that this would be an expensive venture. I looked at the archives and found links to Sanipro - sounds intriguing. J

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Breaking concrete may seem to be a huge undertaking, but it may not be, depending on access to the slab that needs to be opened. You can rent or purchase ($100) small rotary hammers that are fairly easy to handle and will do this kind of work. It is a messy (dust) job and you will need ear and eye protection, but if you can get to the slab, it could be your answer. It would be very costly to have a plumber do this, but he could outline what would be needed and then you could do the labor.

otterj

Reaction score
So... I'd have to cut/jackhammer to the main sewer line? Is that correct? Any ideas on how I would know where the main line runs from the house? Thanks, Jill

EAP

Reaction score
Unless you have a few feet to excavate, it will be a HARD job, physically speaking. And if that is the case, a jackhammer is the best way to do it yourself. Or you could hire a concrete-cutting company, may not be cheap!

You could save $500 or so. But you will need to get rid of the rubble, etc.

An experience plumber can intuitively (in many cases) trace the route to follow. Or you can hire a plumber or drain cleaning firm (ilke a roto-rooter) who has the equipment to run a line into your drains and using a special detector to pick up a signal, can trace the route of your plumbing.

The saniflo type equipment is usually a good idea as a LAST resort. Gravity drains always work best and look the nicest and most professional.

It is also a good idea to locate your bath close to the underground drains since slope of the drain may be an issue.

Good Luck.

EAP

Reaction score
You're very welcome Jill!

Glad to be of assistance.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks