Removing reducer bushing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Nate R

Reaction score
I just had a plumber here to look at my plumbing situation. I'm remodeling a bathroom, and want to move the tub and sink drains. Currently, the tub and sink join into the toilet drain as shown below.

Plumbing.JPG

I wanted to move the tub and sink to the opposite side of the bathroom. My thought was to abandon the current tub/sink drain and instead join them with a different branch that services something else, but needs to go from 1 1/2" line to 2" to be able to handle it.

Clothes washer, tub and lav would be on one branch. Washer does NOT have a tub, just a standpipe. If I understand what I'm reading, the washer is then 3 DFUs, and the tub and sink are 3. Which would require a 2" horizontal branch instead of the 1 1/2" there now.

Below is a picture of a tap into my stack. If I'm looking at it correctly, there's a 4" stack with a 2" tap on it, which is immediately reduced to a 1 1/2" line. Is there a way to cut out the 1 1/2" line and replace it with a 2" w/o removing the wye from the stack?

If not, I suppose I'll just cut out the PVC below it and add another branch instead.

wye.JPG

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
There is a big reamer that can drill out a fitting. Forget the name right now, but it has been mentioned fairly frequently. Might be cheaper to cut it out and put in a new fitting.

Kordts

In the Trades
Reaction score
You can buy a Pipe Shredder bit, or a Rambit, but for a one-off, that's pricey. I would cut the bushing flushing with the hub, cut a little slice with a hacksaw blade and peel it out. put a hose clamp around the hub so you don't break the hub. Been there, done that.

Nate R

Reaction score
Thanks everyone! I was hoping/praying that there'd be something like that.

It may be a bit expensive for a one time use tool. But I'll use it again when I redo the kitchen. (There's another setup right above this one that's identical.)

I also would MUCH rather pay $30 than have to fool around cutting chunks out of the stack. :D

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
bushing

A Ram-Bit won't work with a bushing because the "hole" in it is smaller than a standard pipe, and a Ram-Bit is sized for the i.d. of a standard pipe.

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
motosliders said:
So I suppose I could use a dremel and a vacuum cleaner to enlarge the hole to standard pipe ID?

Not within any acceptable tolerance. But, you could substitute the Dremel for the hacksaw blade and try this:

kordts said:
I would cut the bushing flushing with the hub, cut a little slice with a hacksaw blade and peel it out. put a hose clamp around the hub so you don't break the hub. Been there, done that.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks