View Full Version : straight stop with long "handle?"

04-16-2007, 01:57 PM
Hi there,

I'm getting ready to install my first wall-mounted faucets in a master bath remodel and would like to put shut off valves under the sink. (They'll be hidden in the cabinet.)

Does anyone know what company makes a stop with a longer handle that can protrude through the drywall and cabinet back? If not, any suggestions on how to make this look reasonably good (i.e., professional)?

Also, in searching for an answer to this, I read someone's opinion that Kohler isn't good quality. Any opinions on American Standard? That's what I'm planning to install.

Thanks - Michele

04-16-2007, 07:43 PM
Inside a cabinet, pros attach the stops to a stub-out, a six inch +/- length of pipe extending from the wall.

Why would you want to bury the valve in the wall, where a common leak at the packing would go unnoticed for a while and be a PITA to repair?

04-16-2007, 08:40 PM
Of course, you're right - at least for regular installations. But with a wall-mount, the supply lines have to go back in the wall and up to the faucet valve. Would you have a copper stub out and then use an elbow it back into the wall to supply the faucet?

I apologize if this is a really stupid question.

Seems almost like we should put an access panel in the back of the cabinet underneath to take some of the pain out of a PITA repair. I read in another that sometimes these are installed without shut off valves and that seems like begging for trouble.

04-17-2007, 04:12 AM
Sorry, I blew past "wall mount". Is there a basement below, where you could locate the shut offs?

04-17-2007, 07:22 AM
Unfortunately it's a second floor bathroom. There's a hallway underneath.