Dual Flush model for new construction

Users who are viewing this thread

midwestjo

Reaction score
We are building a new home and wanted to put dual flush models in all of the bathrooms. We have been researching these for quite some time I had a few questions before we make a final decision.

We had pretty much decided on the Toto Aquia, but I have read reviews that it can be difficult to install. Here in the Midwest most plumbers have never installed a dual flush toilet before, is it really a problem?

We also have three small kids and I am worried about the small water spot. We saw the Gerber dual flush in a showroom and noticed that it seems to have a normal sized water spot.

I think we have eliminated Kohler's dual flush model based on what we have read about it and the Caroma model because it has been difficult to find.

If you were to decide between the Gerber and the Aquia which would you choose? Are there any other deciding factors I am not considering?

aquia_angle.jpg

Toto Aquia

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The aquia uses an adapter that gets mounted to the floor, then the toilet gets attached to the adapter. It's pretty simple. Any plumber should be able to handle it without problems. If you have a tiled floor, you might need a diamond bit to drill the mounting holes. If you don't then, it can take a long time to try to drill through some hard porcelain tile. WIth the right tool, it's quick and easy. As long as they are aware of that and come prepared, it should not take much longer than with a "normal" toilet. With the skirted design, the back is a little wider than most toilets and can cover the location where a standard supply valve would fit - it needs to be a little further off-center. This is easy during contruction, but needs to be specified to the rough-in people.

midwestjo

Reaction score
RE: Auqia advice

Jim, thanks for the reply, is the mounting adaptor included when you order the toilet from Toto? I am ordering from a supply house, but on my own so I need to know if I need to order the adaptor for my plumber to install.

Also, when you say you need to set the supply off-center, I do not quite understand that, how do you explain that to them at rough in? Our new house is being roughed in now and we will not have the toilets here when they do the rough in. I have downloaded the spec sheet from Toto, will that explain what you are talking about?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The Toto Aquia and the Dual Flush Gerber use the standard 12" rough-in and normal offset for the water supply.

Both toilets come complete, less seat.

Plumbers should have the closet bolts, wax and supply tube.
The Aquia works well with the 16" flexible supply.
Environmentally friendly and green building product.

(We liked the Gerber Dual Flush too, until we started replacing tanks. We've had 42% of the WDI dual flush tanks for the Gerber fail in the first year. Terry updated June 19 2008)

Review on the Gerber dual flush

Product update on the Toto Aquia, Sold over 130 with no returns

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks