shower head leaks water while filling tub

Users who are viewing this thread

Brian12

Reaction score
I just intalled an American Standard Tub Filler faucet with optional shower head. The shower head itself does not have a shutoff on it. While filling the tub (diverter down), some water is leaking out of the shower head. the problem is that with the weak stream of water, it is landing on the rim of the tub and then falling onto the tub deck. When I pull the diverter up, everything appears to be working fine with the shower head and faucet.

Is this normal. I removed all parts prior to doing any soldering so I know I did not damage any O ring or anything like that.

Also, the installation page for the shower head stated, "check local codes, make require vacuum breaker (kit #028708)" I have no idea what this is, or what this is for, but wondering if this might be the cause of the problem.

I would greatly appreciate any advice as I am a average do-it-yourselfer and expert at nothing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A vacuum breaker is required if you are using a handheld shower that could be laying in the tub, covered with the water. If there was a pressure hiccup, without the vacuum breaker, it is possible to suck in that bathwater and contaminate your water pipes. If you have a conventional, fixed showerhead, it is not required.

Some rough-in valves, while it looks like there is a tap for the tub spout and the shower, the instructions say do not use the lower outlet. If the pipe is restricted at all, it can divert some of the water up to the showerhead. Review the installation instrutions and make sure you used the correct taps for shower and tub, used the proper sized piping, and don't have restrictions. You could end up with restrictions if you weren't careful with the teflon tape, and are blocking off the flow some and creating this type of problem.

Brian12

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice Jim

I checked and everything looks OK according to the instructions. I also did not use the tape, but I did use the pipe compound in a tube with teflon. I am almost absolutely sure (99.99999999%) that there is no obstruction anywhere in the rough in valve.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
What type and size of pipe or tubing did you use to connect the outlet of the valve down to the spout? This is important.

Tintcutter

Reaction score
I agree with Jimbo's question. Too much glue on a remodel of one of my apartments in that spout leg led to the same problem. Once replaced, the pipe caused no more problem.

UPEngineer

Reaction score
I had the same thing happen with a delta faucet shower/tub install. When filling the tub I had a small trickle coming from the head of the shower.

A call to Delta faucet found my problem. I used 1/2" PEX pipe instead of 1/2" copper and the rep told me that my problem was that the PEX does not allow the water to flow out of the tub spout faster than the water fills the valve and I get what is called "shower rise"...I think that is the term she used.

She also said if I installed the tub spout outside the recommended distance from the valve could also do this. This was not the case in my scenario.

Hope this helps!

Brian12

Reaction score
thanks for all the advice...

I went straight to the rough in valve with half inch copper. My shower head is also within the recommended 12 inches from the valve. I did try the other day to work the diverter (pushing it up and down several times and turning it) and it seemed to solve the problem. I just remembered that I posted this earlier this week. I am going to go try it again (its down in the basement) and see if it is still leaking.

P1010072-2.jpg

I just tried to post a picture of the project just to see if there were any admirers out there but not sure if it worked.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks