swap double sink with bathtub

Users who are viewing this thread

ThomasCrapper

Reaction score
Can I use the drain(s) from an existing double sink set-up for a shower stall and a soaking tub?

Also, is it possible to tie a double sink drain system into an existing tub drain.

So basically, I want to switch the locations of the sinks and tub and i want to add a shower stall

I do not know the drain sizes. For now, I'm just looking to find out if it's possible and if so, how difficult it might be.

Here is an example of the shower/tub layout ONLY that i'm looking for. the sink would be on the back wall instead of on the right as shown.

http://www.clippervacations.com/xml/hotels/images/room/hotel_UPIAPRIL_100bathroom.jpg

-Thanks in advance

ThomasCrapper

Reaction score
master plumber mark said:
you can jsut about do anything if you want to
fork out the money.....

its no big deal......it all depends on the $$ signs....

Soooooo...

It CAN be done?

am i looking at:

$100's $1000's $10,000's ?

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Since the sink drain is now probably in the wall, and a new trap will have to be located below grade and stubbed out under the tub or shower, you are probably looking at a new floor. You didn't mention if this was slab, or upper story. Since we can't see where all the pipes are in the walls now, it is hard to guestimate. There is quite a bit of work here. It certainly can be done.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

The degreee of difficulty will depend ENTIRELY on how the existing piping is installed. It could range from fairly minor, to a complete remodeling job.

ThomasCrapper

Reaction score
This is a 2nd floor bathroom. i feel i can re do the floor myself after all is said and done.
I would like to try and do the plumbing myself, but i think i'll leave that to the pro's.
i'll probably save money using a plumber!

For all you plumbers out there, if i have the floor ripped up to expose the sub-floor,
and the sinks and tub already ripped out, how long (roughly) should it take someone
to re-route the pipes assuming it's a middle of the road job as far as complexity is concerned?

Lastly, what's the average hourly $ rate i should expect to pay for this?

Thanks for all the replies so far...

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Without knowing where the pipes currently run, you can't say. You might have to either take off the subfloor, or remove the ceiling below. Safer to remove the ceiling since you can't fall through that - gravity...

Depending on which way the joists go, and where the current drain pipes are, you might need to run the line below the ceiling to obtain the proper slope. Also, there is a limit on where and how big you can cut holes in joists.

You really can't tell until you know all of the variables.

FWIW, when I had a tub relocated and a toilet moved, it cost me about $1400 but they didn't have to run all new stuff, only moved some and ran new water lines. I installed the toilet flange once I finished the floor and the shutoffs and drain once the vanity was installed.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
What these pros are trying to gently tell you is that there is no way to give even a ballpark guess without physically examining the job. There are just too many variables that can come into play. Of course it might be quite simple, but it very well could be a fairly major (aka "expensive") job, and it is one you would certainly want done right. Therefore, it would be my advise to call two or three local plumbing contractors to give you an estimate on the job. You can discuss with them how much of the job you can do and how that would affect the cost.

ThomasCrapper

Reaction score
Thanks to all. Although a bit vague, this actually helps out a lot.
At least I know it's possible and since I plan on getting it done by
a contractor anyway, the next obvious step is to get the quotes.

I'll keep you all posted, and i'm sure i'll have plenty more questions
throughout the next couple months.

Thanks!

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
"How much will it cost me?"

Your main question is "How Much?". Your second question is "Can I Do Some or How Much Of This?"

Answer the various Q's posed to you, and if you do not insist that now you deserve to have your main Question answered, you'll do fine here. You'll learn a lot fast. It's really easy; later you'll admit that the information asked of you was totally necessary, and that you needed to know it yourself.

Re-reading the questions that were implicitly asked by other posts above, I'll rephrase them for you.
-- Which way do the joists go?
-- Where is the "stack"? That is the main drain going down to the lower level and then out to the street.

Answer these two questions slowly and carefully, so that it becomes clear to all who read the answers how the physical space is laid out. Diagrams help. A lot. With no diagram, there WILL be more questions.

It's numbskull-simple once you know that this is important stuff to spell out for experienced people to take into consideration. It's in your best interest to know at least what is important to specify. If you bring someone in to your space and they get the impression that you don't even know that a joist might be something important, you might be opening yourself up to a real big emotional rollercoaster ride when they 1. lowball the estimate, 2. start the job and 3. then start saying, "now that we have uncovered the following... we now know we have to do something additional here ..."

David

ThomasCrapper

Reaction score
geniescience said:
Your main question is "How Much?". Your second question is "Can I Do Some or How Much Of This?"

Answer the various Q's posed to you, and if you do not insist that now you deserve to have your main Question answered, you'll do fine here. You'll learn a lot fast. It's really easy; later you'll admit that the information asked of you was totally necessary, and that you needed to know it yourself.

Re-reading the questions that were implicitly asked by other posts above, I'll rephrase them for you.
-- Which way do the joists go?
-- Where is the "stack"? That is the main drain going down to the lower level and then out to the street.

Answer these two questions slowly and carefully, so that it becomes clear to all who read the answers how the physical space is laid out. Diagrams help. A lot. With no diagram, there WILL be more questions.

It's numbskull-simple once you know that this is important stuff to spell out for experienced people to take into consideration. It's in your best interest to know at least what is important to specify. If you bring someone in to your space and they get the impression that you don't even know that a joist might be something important, you might be opening yourself up to a real big emotional rollercoaster ride when they 1. lowball the estimate, 2. start the job and 3. then start saying, "now that we have uncovered the following... we now know we have to do something additional here ..."

David

I haven't moved into the house yet so I am unable to answer these 2
questions. I will follow up when I rip the floor up after I move in.

I used to have a job doing home improvemets for a few years, so I'm not
diving in blindly. More specifically, I tore a bathroom floor up before and
we ran into a lot of hurdles. However, we did not move any of the fixtures
which is why I was unsure if it could be done using the same drains.

My questions, so far, were answered.
can it be done - yes
how long will it take - depends on layout and existing joists and piping
how much - it varies but someone here paid $1400 for light modifications
i understand that may not be what i pay becasue every situation
is different.

"you'll do fine here" i'm sure i will

Thanks

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks