Manifold and PEX to replace galvanized

Users who are viewing this thread

dr00bie

Reaction score
I am trying to work on a "budget" for renovating my existing 1/2" galvanized plumbing with a manifold and PEX. I have read a good deal about manifolds and PEX, but have a couple questions.

My Master BA has a sink, toilet and bath (no shower, yet), from the manifold would I need to run 5 homeruns, or could I tee off of the cold for the sink for the toilet?

In the kitchen, I have a double basin sink, dishwasher and refrigerator. Do I need to homerun the fridge (for ice maker and water in door) and the dishwasher or could I tee them also?

Also, the house is supplied by 1/2" galvanized (I know, I know), I have been pondering on upgrading that to 3/4" poly, but I am worried that the increase in pressure will create leaks in the galvanized that is in place. Should I be worried about this?

Thanks in advance!
Drew

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Larger pipe will not increase the pressure, only the amount of water (volume) the pipes can carry. I commend you for realizing you need to get rid of the galvanized pipes, but I suggest you contact a plumbing contractor to get an estimate on what it will cost to install PEX or copper. A complete refitting is really not a job for a novice.:)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks