Moen 7400 series kitchen faucet

Users who are viewing this thread

Brander

Reaction score
I have a Moen 7400 series kitchen faucet which shuts off if I turn it to the hot water position. If I put the faucet to the mid position and gradually change it to the hot I can get some hot water but if I push it too far it shuts off the water again. I cannot determine if this is a cartridge type of faucet because I don't know the model number, only that it is a 7400 series by the stamp on the spout. Can anyone tell me if this sounds like a cartridge failure? It is not covered by Moen warranty because I am not the original homeowner.

gerhard

Reaction score
Issue with water shutting off

Sorry, I cannot offer any real help -- I am looking for advice with what sounds like the same issue. I have a Bagvik (Ikea) faucet that only runs hot, and ceases to run at all in the cold position. I know that the problem is a little plastic insert in the inlet line (both hot and cold have them). I think they are backflow preventers, and I can fix the problem by unhooking the cold water supply and removing the cold stem, flushing it, and then replacing it. You might have a similar problem. I want to know -- can I safely take a drill and remove this thing? The house is supplied by a well, but it is filtered and isn't full of sediment. This thing in the line is just (apparently) super-sensitive.

Thanks,

Lancaster

Reaction score
The Moen faucet almost certainly needs the #1225 cartridge replaced.
The Ikea faucet-ya got me.

moen1225.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Brander

Reaction score
Yes your experience confirms my own with blockage of the faucet. I replaced the Moen cartridge and found no difference. I then replaced the shut-off valve because it was stiff and made me suspicious and the faucet still had the same problem. I then removed the supply line and located the plastic insert that you mentioned, except in my case the insert was blocked with broken bits of rubber that looked like they came from one of the old type of faucet washers. I guess the debris would let some water flow but when it flowed too hard the pieces blocked the line completely until the faucet was shut off again. I wouldn't see any problem with removing that insert, I was tempted to do it myself except that my faucet works fine now. To me the insert is just an unnecessary added complication that will get clogged if any debris or sediment comes up your line; the filter on the aerator on your faucet can filter any sediment and it is accessible to clear it. Maybe it keeps sediment from going through your cartridge but it's just too inaccessible a spot to have a clogged filter. I certainly operated a water system on a well pump for years without any supply line inserts to stop back pressure; I don't know how an insert would do that anyway.

molly malosa

Reaction score
I replaced the cartridge and o rings on this faucet to stop a leak. The leak did stop, but now the hot water flow is severely diminished. I've tried what Moen recommended--cleaning the cartridge housing with a toothbrush and flushing the housing--to no avail. I'm on the third cartridge (Moen keeps sending them), so the cartridge evidently is not the problem. Could the problem be caused by the plastic insert in the supply line mentioned in this thread if the problem only started happening after the "repair"? Help! Thanks.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks