Dishwasher Hook up

Users who are viewing this thread

bgolfer66

Reaction score
Hello. Sorry for the long post, just trying to give as many details as possible.

I'm in the agonizing process of hooking up a new dishwasher for many reasons but that's not important now.

The old dishwasher had a flexible cooper tube supplying the water which was connected to a valve teed off the hot water feed. One side of the valve is sweated to the a short piece of copper from the Tee. The other end (discharge) of the valve is (I think) 1/2 inch Compression thread.

While I was out of town my wife discovered a leak under the sink which initially was thought to be the cooper tube, so a neighbor disconnected and replaced with a braided dishwasher supply line. The supply line is had 3/8 fittings on both ends. That wasn't the leak at least, not at that time.

I went to the Home Depot (I spend way to much money there) and puchased a fitting that was 3/8 male compression on one side and 1/2 female compression on the other. Attached the fitting to the Valve and tightened it down as much as I could. Attached the supply line to the new fitting and tightened. Voila, done, right, wrong.

Get a call this morning that we have water under the sink again. Checked this evening and the fitting is leaking at the valve. So I tried tightening more and did a little but not much, still leaking. Tried again and the the leak got worse.

Took everything off. The thread on the valve has teflon tape on it, not much but some. Was this my problem, Should I not have taped the compression thread? I took some of it off and tightened again, but still leaking although so of the tape is still in the threads. Maybe I did not put enough tape on?

If I shouldn't have put that tape on is there an easy way to take it off?

Ever had a wife who has lived her whole life with a dishwasher who has been hand washing dishes for over a week, BTW we have four kids who all eat on plates and use silverware.

It's not a pretty sight my friend, please help me. :eek:

Thanks,

John

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You don't use tape on compression fittings, I don't think - too hard to make it even - you've always got an edge. My unprofessional opinion.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
If you have a reducer fitting which is designed to connect to a 1/2 compression valve outlet, that fitting should have a nylon gasket inside to make the seal. Tape wont do it since those are not threads which are designed to seal.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks