Do you guys use Heavy Gauge all the time

Users who are viewing this thread

Chefwong

Reaction score
Somewhat OT fellas, but for the pros out there, do you guys use heavy gauge 17 tubular when you are installing tubular under a sink, etc ?

I'm not a PRO but a avid DIY'er and do go to great lengths at times just for better materials that is not normally stocked. I've even mail-ordered parts at times since it was not available locally.

Just curious ;-)

Chefwong

Reaction score
Plastic ----Is it for reliability / glued joints ?

I'd hate to buy 10 footer only to need 2 feet ;-)
Been there, done that.

Thus, I normally use the cast brass/17awg stuff for sinks.

For DWV, plastic and CI where appropiate for me.

Mattbee24

In the Trades
Reaction score
I believe he means plastic tubular sink traps instead of metal tubular. The only time I would recomend using metal is if it is exposed. Plastic will last 10 times longer and is much less expensive.

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I do not have a "standard". I use what the customer requests.... usually it's either cpvc or copper pipes and almost always plastic traps. Fixtures vary and the customer is the one paying for them.

Kordts

In the Trades
Reaction score
I like the look of the chrome, especially for pedestals and exposed commercial lavs. Unfortunately, tubular pvc lasts longer.

Chefwong

Reaction score
Interesting. I looked at the tubular PVC stuff way back in the days and I always thought it was flimsy....I may have to revisit it and take a look at it again !

Markts30

Commercial Plumber
Reaction score
We use the chromed tubular PTraps in commercial because the inspectors and customers like it, but as has been mentioned earlier, I prefer the plastic in my own home for corrosion resistance......

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks