PDA

View Full Version : Glacier Bay toilet from Home Depot, Consumer reviews, pics, comments

tinacarlylethegreat
03-27-2007, 10:00 PM
Has anyone ever purchased the Glacier Bay toilet at home depot. It goes by several different names. Sedona or Taza Sahara. The bowl # is 191-856. I like it because it has a round front and only extends 25 3/8 inches into the room. I have a small bathroom and the sink is directly in front of the toilet. It is only $40.00 and I am worried maybe it doesn't work well. I can't find any info on it on the internet. Other models yes, but not this one. If anyone has had experience with it I would appreciate an evaluation.
Tina

Consumer Report on Toilets (http://www.terrylove.com/crtoilet.htm)

http://www.terrylove.com/images/glacierbay_n2225_1.jpg

Cass
03-28-2007, 03:34 AM
Tank and bowl are only $40.00?????

I wouldn't touch anything with a price like that. They were probably practice toilets from some 3rd world country.

jimbo
03-28-2007, 07:05 AM
As a practical matter, a toilet for $40 is a guaranteed loser. First, it is going to be a very poor flusher. Glacier Bay ranks near or at the bottom on the MAP reports. Even worse, the quality of the porcelain glaze and the internal parts...flappers,etc. are rock bottom.

Now, is it actually labeled Glacier Bay? Those model names you mentioned sound like the toilets which HD imports from Mexico..they are even worse!

For a toilet with some quality, and a price which won't break your bank, I believe the Toto Drake, the AmStd Cadet 3, and the Niagara are worth a look. You will hear varying other opinions positive and negative about these recommendations; I don't think you will hear any recommendation for a good toilet which can be had under about $150 total.(+ labor)

follow up: it is a Glacier Bay label, manufactured by Foremost International, probably China. Their part number is LL-8200-W if you want to talk to them about it:http://www.fitnjo.com/AboutUs.html

JLindbert
04-18-2009, 04:14 PM
Hello and I recently purchased one with an 8 rating. Started to buy an American Standard...good products most of the time but sales guy at Home Depot told me that the Glacier Bay had an 8 rating and American Standard had a 5. I'll be very honest with you...I never had a toilet that worked so fine. I tried everything to stop this puppy up and it won't stop up. I wasn't familiar with the Glacier Bay till I got this one...and the neat thing is, it only uses 1.2 gallons of water. You won't find a better toilet for the money that the Glacier Bay.

Not sure the model number but the one I bought is an elongated lip...not rounded. ...didn't see any $40.00 ones but like others said...stay away from something that cheap.

Jan Lindbert

Sevierville, TN

04-18-2009, 04:20 PM
Glacier Bay is a Home Depot brand, so without a part number, it is just another generic container load that comes in with the house brand on the box.

A lot would depend on which overseas company they are buying from at the moment.

I hold the handle down for 2 seconds and everything disappears in a strong whoosh of water.

It kind of defeats the 1.28 gallon aspect of it. Holding the handle down uses about 3 gallons.
With three gallons, you can pretty much wash a racoon out of a tree.

Everything you ever wanted to know about toilets (http://www.terrylove.com/crtoilet.htm)

Redwood
04-18-2009, 10:32 PM
Hello and I recently purchased one with an 8 rating. Started to buy an American Standard...good products most of the time but sales guy at Home Depot told me that the Glacier Bay had an 8 rating and American Standard had a 5. I'll be very honest with you...I never had a toilet that worked so fine. I tried everything to stop this puppy up and it won't stop up. I wasn't familiar with the Glacier Bay till I got this one...and the neat thing is, it only uses 1.2 gallons of water. You won't find a better toilet for the money that the Glacier Bay.

Not sure the model number but the one I bought is an elongated lip...not rounded. Cost from Home Depot was $128.00 plus tax...didn't see any $40.00 ones but like others said...stay away from something that cheap.

Jan Lindbert

Sevierville, TN

Sounds like Home Depot had nothing to sell except junk toilets...

Marty53
04-21-2009, 10:42 AM
I've actually had decent luck with a one-piece glacier bay I bought at Home Depot for $69 on special about 6 months ago. I put it in the guest bath, and have two toto drakes for my other toilets, so I do know what a great toilet is. The Drake is an amazing piece of plumbing, without a doubt. Occasionally the glacier bay needs two flushes, but in a situation where its not a major use toilet (most of its use if for #1's), I think they are fine.

kingsotall
04-21-2009, 09:27 PM
So you're saying they make great urinals┐

Redwood
04-22-2009, 06:18 AM
So you're saying they make great urinals┐

I hardly see that as a toilet that I would put up with installed at my house for 20-30 years...:D

Marty53
04-22-2009, 07:42 AM
I think what I'm saying is that they are fine for use in a situation where they are not primary use toilets.. The price makes them almost disposable. I know you plumbers hate to hear it though... I'm on a tight budget.

brina916
05-05-2009, 02:15 PM
They both leak from the tank! what are the odds? what a pile of crap

Glacier Bay toilet from Home Depot

Redwood
05-05-2009, 07:10 PM
They both leak from the tank! what are the odds? what a pile of crap

Glacier Bay?
I'd say pretty good odds of having a leaker...

Gary Swart
05-05-2009, 09:05 PM
But Redwood, they were cheap!:D

bridestine
05-22-2009, 09:02 AM
I bought the Glacier Bay toilet. I went with the express purpose of buying an Eljer, 1.4 Gal Toilet. It flushes like those professional models at Airport Terminals. Very hard flush, and in six years, it has never failed. Also cost half as much as the GB, from Lowes. The salesman at Home Depot said the Eljer was no longer as good as my old one, and this GB was the best rated flusher he had. From my experience, it is LOUSY. I keep a gallon bucket filled with water for flushing. It won't even take a sheet of toilet paper. If flushed properly, it would use less water than my Eljer, but it requires a minimum of one flush plus one gallon bucket to get anything down. Don't let the salesman talk you into that thing. IT IS JUNK!!!

debscott55
06-04-2009, 04:45 PM
I paid about $60 for my low-flow Glacier Bay toilet. From day one, I have had to flush it 4 or 5 times just to flush about 2 sheets of toilet paper. Not really saving much water that way, am I? I rue the day I ever bought this toilet and darn sure won't do it again. I agree that you get what you pay for. Go with a toilet that's higher priced and with a company that has a good reputation. :mad:

Debra

http://www.terrylove.com/images/glacierbay_n2225_6.jpg

fifthmoon
06-28-2009, 12:12 PM
We hate glacier bay it's a terrible toilet. Half the time it doesn't flush right. We paid alot more then 50.00 for it. We are now looking for a better toilet and think we will get a top flush with dual flush.

Mike in California
07-13-2009, 11:06 AM
I purchased a Glacier Bay 1.28 gpf round bowl toilet at Home Depot. It has the flapperless design, which is essentially a trough or rectangular bucket that tilts when you flush it. Anyway, it has been working great. I had already checked various reviews online for toilets before I decided on this one. At $88, it is a great price. I knew going into this some people said the seat is flimsy, and it is, but at that price, I threw away the factory seat and installed a sturdier seat. Not a problem.

I did have to make a very minor, simple adjustment to ensure the tank was filling to the 1.28 gallon level in the bucket, however, you may not need to make any adjustment if it fills to the marked line. If you do need to fine-tune the water level, then very gently bend the copper tubing that holds the filler spigot that empties into the bucket. Doing so will bring the level of the float valve slightly upward and so likewise affects the level of the water in the bucket. Not a big deal to adjust, the tube probably moved slightly during shipment.

By the way, this flapperless design has a 10 rating for flushing material, which is the best rating. It was done in independent testing, so it isn't some inflated rating from the manufacturer. This toilet works very well, much better than the 47-year-old 3.5 gpf toilet we had in place before. I looked at Kohler, American Standard and others and decided on this one. Oh, by the way, the Glacier Bay brand which is exclusive to Home Depot is also known as Niagara (http://www.terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17837) or Niagara Flapperless. In the U.S., the site is niagaraconservation.com; in Canada it is niagraflapperless.ca

http://www.terrylove.com/wc/niagara/niagara_inside_tank.jpg

Mike in California
07-13-2009, 12:10 PM
A correction on adjusting the water level in the bucket: although I adjusted the float level by very gently and very slightly tweaking the copper pipe that feeds the water in the tank, the proper way to adjust the float valve is to turn the black plastic screw that is on the valve's arm. Turn the screw to the right to lower the water level in the bucket or to the left to raise the level. So do adjust the screw, don't bend the copper tube. The instruction manual was not in the box (someone had previously opened it at Home Depot) so I didn't have it for reference. But I have just downloaded a PDF of the manual and found the correct way to adjust the valve on the Fluidmaster 703A5B fill valve.

Redwood
07-13-2009, 06:24 PM
Mike that is the Niagra Flapperless toilet sold under the Glacier Bay label...
Not the best flusher but okay...
Parts though terrify me....
If Niagra doesn't cut it....
The parts will disappear as well...

breid1903
07-18-2009, 12:11 PM
do you have receipt. ask what happens when you lose receipt. my guess is store credit. call them ask what policy is on stools. if you can return it. yank it out. everybody laughs but i was in blowes in kokomo, in, in august. i come in the door and there's a woman with a 4' dead christmas tree. i thought ok, i got to see this. the clerk asked what was wrong with the tree. lady says it died. i burst out laughing. everybody else was in the twilight zone. the tree still had christmas stuff on it. the cut on the stump was older than me. they will take just about anything back. also please don't pay any mind to the store recommendations. if they knew anything, why would they be there? lol. breid

JLindbert
07-21-2009, 01:00 PM
Glacier Bay is a Home Depot brand, so without a part number, it is just another generic container load that comes in with the house brand on the box.

A lot would depend on which overseas company they are buying from at the moment.

It kind of defeats the 1.28 gallon aspect of it. Holding the handle down uses about 3 gallons.
With three gallons, you can pretty much wash a racoon out of a tree.

Everything you ever wanted to know about toilets (http://www.terrylove.com/crtoilet.htm)

Sorry guys...you got it all wrong..the tank won't even hold 3 gallons of water let alone the water that enters while in operation. OK...don't take my word on this one...but I bought one, it has an 8 rating and still works like a charm.I'm 100% happy with my purchase and I'm not a sales person at Home Depot...I took out a worthless Kohler because it took 3 or 4 flushes to work...Now I'm smiling.

JLindbert
07-21-2009, 01:07 PM
I bought the $128 Glacier Bay toilet. I went with the express purpose of buying an Eljer, 1.4 Gal Toilet. It flushes like those professional models at Airport Terminals. Very hard flush, and in six years, it has never failed. Also cost half as much as the GB, from Lowes. The salesman at Home Depot said the Eljer was no longer as good as my old one, and this GB was the best rated flusher he had. From my experience, it is LOUSY. I keep a gallon bucket filled with water for flushing. It won't even take a sheet of toilet paper. If flushed properly, it would use less water than my Eljer, but it requires a minimum of one flush plus one gallon bucket to get anything down. Don't let the salesman talk you into that thing. IT IS JUNK!!!

Think this guy must work for big name MFG or didn't know how to install it...Mine works fine...and excuse me, I haven't seen any of those big named puppies any more reasonalble...this $128.00 was complete...nuts, bolts, wax ring, seat...oops...didn't provide toilet paper, almost complete.

Reader Review
09-19-2009, 08:24 AM
Mike from Cascade Water has reported that the two worst toilets, at least the two he gets the most complaints about, are the Glacier Bay toilet and the Dual Flush Gerber toilet (http://www.terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30226).

Homeowners have been reporting that many cases of multiple flushing with the Glacier Bay.
There are no parts for them. That's the other big complaint.
When they ask for parts, they just get a blank stare from the "Isle helpers" at Home Depot.
The solution if anything breaks, is to buy a new toilet.
Which may or may not work very well.
You may get a good or a bad one, depending on the individual construction of that piece of pottery.
JLindbert has reported getting a good one, which is similar to other reports we have been getting.
Depending on how well it was made that day, you may get one that works, or one that has problems.
But so far, many more complaints then from other toilets.

The biggest complaints are on the Gerber dual flush (http://www.terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30226)though.
There is no way to repair those.
They typically last about six months.

johnjh2o1
09-19-2009, 08:59 AM
While your at it buy a plunger at the same time. you will need it.

John

JLindbert
10-02-2009, 03:38 AM
I must have gotten the only good one that they made...Mine still works like a charm. Fact...if I had the one that this guy has and it didn't work, I'm smart enough to take it back to Home Depot and not keep that bucket of water beside toilet to flush away the big one...it seems very evident that this guy is very full of S__t and life experiences with these kind...you simply can't flush them away. There are idiots everywhere and having 26 year career as a building, plumbing and mechanical inspector, I've seen all kinds...TAKE IT BACK TO HOME DEPOT...they'll even take it back if it's full of S__t...as well as Lowes.

JLindbert
10-02-2009, 03:44 AM
And by the way, I don't work for Home Depot, or MFG of the Glacier Bay toilet...but trust me, if I did, I'd sell the heck out of these. I could sell anything that I believed in and I believe in this product. I read this guy's post several times and laughed every time...thinking to myself..what an idiot, and if he had one that didn't work, why keep it...and pour that water in it...it's funny, picturing this guy taking his dump, flushing, then pouring his bucket of water in to complete his mission...

jadnashua
10-02-2009, 08:42 PM
The thing is, next month, a toilet with the same name might show up from a different manufactuer that is a total dog...if yours has any non-standard parts (flapper or fill valve), you may never get parts to fix them when their rubber parts wear out in a few years. Break the flush lever, buy a generic replacement and hope it fits. Your lottery ticket may win, but the odds are against you. HD does not carry parts for their in-house toilets most have found.

JLindbert
11-10-2009, 04:35 PM
Still working fine here in the Lindbert household...and no, you don't use 3 gallons when you hold down for 2 seconds...it just lets the tank empty completely by doing so. Nope, I don't work for the supply house who sells them...and sorry the competition doesn't like good reviews being posted for a product that works well. Guess this blog made me realize that competitors send out thugs to slam good products in hopes that they might steal a dab of the pie...I'm sorry guys, mine works just fine...oops, but I didn't get the $40.00 dollar one, nor did I get the $60.00 one that some wrote about. I paid I think $128.00 complete for mine...and it works like a charm. I really hate it for that dude that has to keep the plunger beside his, or they guy who keeps that bucket of water beside his...pitiful guys...tears running down my cheeks just thinking about how pitiful life is for you. 26 years as a building, plumbing and mechanical inspector and I've yet to see one that worked as well as this Glacier Bay toilet.

Runs with bison
11-10-2009, 05:46 PM
Still working fine here in the Lindbert household...and no, you don't use 3 gallons when you hold down for 2 seconds...it just lets the tank empty completely by doing so.

Have you measured it? If you haven't actually used a water meter to measure your 2 second hold a few times, then you have no idea how much water it actually uses.

Joe the Plumber
11-10-2009, 07:16 PM
Three gallons

Yep, it's three gallons when you hold that little thingy down, and drain all the water out of yur tank.

What part of it dont you git?

A flapper that flips up and drops down, that's less then two gallon.
Mabe one gallon, and a half gallon.

But when you hold that baby up, and keep it up, then the hole thing drops all the water. count it everybody. one gallon, two gallon, three gallon.
Dude it's three gallons.
Wait, keep a nuther bucket there, and you can keep puruing water down.
Why stop at three?

cnaran36
12-21-2009, 02:29 PM
MIKE IN CALIFORNIA, I have 2 Glacier Bay Flapperless system toilets 1.28 GPF from Home Depot and paid $88 as well. THEY ARE EXCELLENT, only issue i have had is a broken flush knob and the seat screws need to be tighten well or will come loose, can not ask more out of an $88 toilet. I also own 2 Toto's which r the Lamborghini of toilets but paid $350.00 for each. Can anyone assist me in locating a new G B flush knob please thank you. Claudio

Terry
12-21-2009, 03:09 PM
Can anyone assist me in locating a new G B flush knob

Doesn't Home Depot carry parts on the shelf for their toilets?

Oh, that's right, they don't.
And that's why plumbers won't be installing a toilet that nobody carries parts for.

johnjh2o1
12-21-2009, 03:26 PM

And that's why plumbers won't be installing a toilet that nobody carries parts for.

I think there next to there temporary toilets.

John

JLindbert
04-17-2010, 04:17 PM
Actually, I applied common sense, the tank empties in less than three seconds and there is no way that another 1.7 gallons of water can enter and escape. No, trust me, its accurate despite what others would like to think.

Terry
04-17-2010, 04:21 PM
The tank holds about three gallons.

So if you have to hold the handle down for a complete flush, you are using three gallons.
What a waste.

gvilkas
05-17-2010, 01:37 PM
Hi. I called the manufacturer's customer help line printed on the side of the box, gave them the Foremost Sedona toilet tank Model number T1-001WL and the kind gentleman advised me that the MAP rating is 300 grams.

He said it does not really matter much what the bowl number is but I gave it to him anyhow and he said the answer was still the same (Bowl # LL-004RW from the side of the box) MAP tested for 300 grams.

I was pleasantly surprised how helpful the Foremost company was. I give them a 9 out of 10 for telephone manner. As a comparision I recently called American Standard for help on a separate issue and the lady answering the phone was curt and did not take my question seriously. I give American Standard a 3 out of 10 for how they handled my call that day.

Hope this helps.

seattleplumber
10-12-2010, 09:41 AM
Customer purchased their own GB toilet at HD, then hired a plumber (me) to install it. He's obviously not the brightest bulb on the tree. Anyway, here was my impression:

It worked better than I expected, but I was expecting it to not work at all. Still had to fiddle with it a lot to make it not leak (both onto the floor and into the bowl). The flush was semi-weak. I would not recommend this toilet to my mother in law. The parts looked cheap (not just plastic but thin plastic) and are probably not readily available. Very shoddy tank to bowl gasket as well (seemed to have no density to it and it kept falling off). And what was with the wingnuts for the tank bolts? All in all, this toilet was a piece of crap (pun intended).

Keep in mind, by not hiring a plumber and purchasing it through a plumbing company, you basically have no warranty (unless you call un-installing it and hauling it down to HD a "warranty"). If you want to buy and install this toilet, go right ahead. It doesn't bother me at all. You'll be calling me within a year wondering why it doesn't work and why there aren't any parts for it. After your wife scolds you for being so cheap (and stupid), I'll gladly sell you the Toto you should have bought in the first place. I'll also take immense pleasure chucking that GB out of my truck and into the dumpster. Betcha it breaks in midair (you think I'm kidding).

As a side note, I wouldn't recommend American Standard toilets either. They haven't made a good toilet since... well, since ever. They try and try, but they keep screwing it up. They get an 'A' for effort though. Maybe the Champion 28 will be the one. Who knows? For now, Toto is the best. Kohler is a distant second, and only a few models at that.

Redwood
10-13-2010, 06:23 AM
As a side note, I wouldn't recommend American Standard toilets either. They haven't made a good toilet since... well, since ever. They try and try, but they keep screwing it up. They get an 'A' for effort though. Maybe the Champion 28 will be the one. Who knows?

LOL... I'm wondering how many times they will put lipstick on that pig before people stop kissing it...
They lost me on the first one....

dancolostate
07-17-2011, 12:37 AM
Seriously. I can't figure out how to get the water tray piece our of this P.O.S. I feel like I am going to snap the handle or break the tray.

This leaks onto the floor from the wingnut screws where the tank connects to the throne. Tried tightening from underneath, tried a long screwdriver, but can't get around this POS flush mechanism.

How do you take this plastic flush reservoir out without breaking the toilet?

I am tempted to break this piece of sh!t so that I can just by a new toilet.

reply to this thread or please hit me up at tafari AT ymail DOT com

Chinook
07-17-2011, 04:19 PM

When I installed a customer supplied champion , ( purchased at home depot ) Guess who didn't carry the tower seal when it started to leak? Thats right Home Depot!

When the seat broke on My american standard williamsburg ( a Home Depot only product ) who didnt have the toilet seat for it? Thats right Home depot, of course american standard does to the tune of $200 plus shipping!:mad: Now Ill be buying Toto only from now on and I will only recommend Toto to My friends and customers.

Stay away from the home depot store brands at least when it comes to plumbing!

masterofflushing
08-13-2011, 12:34 AM
You know when someone doesn't know what the hell they are talking about or has had zero experience with a Glacier Bay toilet then they ought to not THINK they know it all. First of all the tank on these toilets is never getting filled with water. Only the small tray up near the top of the tank gets filled with water and when you flush, the tray dumps it's water into the empty tank. I have never had any leaks either. How fricken hard is it to repair a tank to bowl leak anyways? It's not under any pressure! This toilet uses less than half the water and it works great unless you're some kind of retard. If this toilet is from a 3rd world country maybe we ought to look at their washing machines too unless you don't care about saving water and money. They must be laughing at us for the amount of water we waste. Ninety percent probably to water the grass outside!

Terry
10-14-2011, 01:23 PM
I replaced this Glacier Bay N2225 flapperless toilet for a homeowner. It was awful. There is very little rinse in the bowl. After each flush, it would need cleaning. The homeowner had tried to return it, but Home Depot said, "No Way!" She overheard the clerk from the plumbing isle telling the "return" clerk that it was a cheap toilet for those that couldn't spend more. It was not a warm fuzzy feeling finding out your purchase wasn't really intended to please, but just filled a hole.
She first told me that the seat screws would not stay tight, and I thought she was kidding. But she wasn't. They won't stay tight. I shot some video of the bowl rinse that I will post in a few days. Pathetic.

http://www.terrylove.com/images/glacierbay_n2225_2.jpg

http://www.terrylove.com/images/glacierbay_n2225_3.jpg

http://www.terrylove.com/images/glacierbay_n2225_4.jpg

Dale Loveless
01-06-2012, 04:43 PM
I would like to comment on the new design Glacier bay Toilet that has the "Dump Bucket" inside the tank, rather the old fashioned flapper that we have used for years.
Personally I am totally disappointed with the design. The part that discusts me the most is there is no swirling effect in the bowl to properly wash the solid waste down the sides of the bowl! This is a major problem, as you have feces that stays on the sides of the bowl, because there is not enough water flow down the sides of the bowl. You constantly have to re-flush or manually clean the sides of the bowl to have a presentable/rather (clean) bowl. And please keep in mind that I am a male, and not a female, so therefor my standards are not as high as say womens would be. Don't buy it...you will be disappointed with the operation of the toilet. I have plans to replace this toilet in the spring when the weather breaks,and destroy it.

The Dump Bucket performs as it was designed to do.....but there is not enough water supply to properly self-clean the bowl of feces stuck to the sides of the bowl. And there is no adjusting the water level as the "Dump Bucket"only holds so much water. The concept and idea of the "Dump-Bucket" design is ok but it is flawed. Don't buy them, you will be highly disappointed.

midwestmommaX2
01-14-2012, 01:21 PM
We have one in our home (put in by previous owner) and it's horrible. Would stay away. It flushes straight down .. no swirl. Leave *stuff* in the bowl. Yuck.

Reader Review
04-23-2012, 12:16 PM
Mr. Love; My research revealed your name in connection to Glacier Bay Toilets and seats, I'm a 70 year old/live alone in an apartment in Madison Alabama, it just so happens that my toilet appears relatively new it's a Glacier Bay elongated 1.28gpf/4.6gpf, #331-725, the seat [looks like a all in one] is very light PVC/other with slide in PVC hinges [cheap]. Yesterday I sat down and immediately [I and the seat] fell to the left going down striking my left knee and twisting my lower back and within inches of taking a blow to the head. Emergency Room evaluation suggests injury to the knee/back; I was directed to an orthopedic surgeon. My point and forgive the editorial length is that given the lack of structure and poor design, especially in a commercial/high traffic environment [I'm sure this is not a isolated case] that incidents such as this should be reported to the appropriate State/Federal/Recall Agencies; maybe such a recall has taken place?; Should you have the opportunity to review and respond; it will be appreciated; In Advance>THANK YOU.
Mike B.

http://www.terrylove.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=7107&stc=1&d=1240098585

Terry
11-07-2013, 12:06 PM
A few more pictures

http://terrylove.com/wc/glacier_bay/glacier_bay_toilet_2.jpg

http://terrylove.com/wc/glacier_bay/glacier_bay_toilet_1.jpg

http://terrylove.com/wc/glacier_bay/glacier_bay_toilet_dual.jpg

Reach4
11-07-2013, 12:31 PM
A few more pictures

http://terrylove.com/wc/glacier_bay/glacier_bay_toilet_2.jpg

Does the trapway path of the toilet on the right look weird to anybody else?