Plumbing condensation

Users who are viewing this thread

jbhis

Reaction score
Hi everybody. I was hoping that someone could help me with something I am trying to figure out. It seems as though a large portion of the supply pipes in my home are condensating with water droplets forming on them. This is especially prevalent on the supply pipe closest to the meter. Also, I've noticed that the toilet in my house is really sweaty as well.

I'm really kind of frustrated as I've even had a small puddle on the floor near the meter in the basement. Hmmmmmmm.......

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
Coldness and high dew point

That is because the water is coldest where it comes into the house.

That fact, combined with the high dew point today, enables water to come out of the air and appear as liquid water.

A toilet tank gets filled with new water after a flush. New water is still extremely cold these days, since it is "winter temperature" water, still cold underground.

david

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
You can pick up some pipe wrap tape to insulate all exposed pipes. The options for the toilet are:1) purchase a lined tank (2) purchase an aftermarket foam liner kit (3) install a tempering valve so it fills with room temp water.

jbhis

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply's guys. That makes alot of sense. I'm gonna hop on over to Lowe's right now and gaty some wrapping for the pipes.

You guys rock, thanks again!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks