can you identify this???

Users who are viewing this thread

maihrs

Reaction score
Picture 071.jpg

Can anyone identify this??? The house was built in the late 50's and is in So. Cal. It is located on the 3/4" branch for my water heater...(after passing by a hose bib). It just comes down and "u" turns back up again. The black segments are rubber. The red rings are some sort of cardboard, don't know why they are there.
Is it anti-siphon?
I'd appreciate any help.:confused:

Cal

In the Trades
Reaction score
Looks like someone just decided to cap off SOMETHING / couldn't get the valves to stop seeping / used whatever they had to keep the area dry . ?

Don't see any purpose in that rig !

Cal

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I didn't realize softeners were that popular in the 50's, but perhaps this leg was added later. Today, most folks condsider softening only the hot water to be of limited value, because laundry is done mostly in cold, and even showers mix some cold in, but at that time it may have been "in" to soften the hot.

It could also be a takeoff for a solar system, but those also were virtually unheard of in the 50's/

Speedbump

Reaction score
Yup definatelly culligan, and I'll bet that is how the culligan man bypassed the filter when he removed it. I'm sure it's up to code!

bob...

maihrs

Reaction score
Thank You!!!

You guys are the best!
I just installed a water softener (got the absolute hardest water you can find anywhre here in Santa Barbara) and left that strange thing there, but now I will remove it!
Keep up the good work guys (and gals)...I love having this board as a resource. :) :) :)

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
bypass

It is/was the connection for a "rental" softener, possibly Culligan, but could have been Servisoft or any of several others in the business. It was the "quick connect" to change the tank each month when the service day arrived. Removing it will be to your advantage, because those two "stop valves" are creating a lot of flow restriction.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks