Basic faucet install

Users who are viewing this thread

lotsoleaks

Reaction score
Ok, this should be easy. I've installed faucets before in my house but have always used the plastic water supply lines. This time I'm using the copper/chrome lines to a new faucet. It is leaking where the lines connect to the faucet, does there need to be something plastic or something between the two b/c it's metal on metal?? I've cranked it pretty tight and it still leaks.

Thanx

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
Get some flex supply lines, either nylon or braided metal. They won't leak.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Get the braded stainless steel supply lines and forget the plastic ones.

Be sure you don't get the plastic braded stainless looking supply lines they sell at HD.

That is quite the scam someone came up with. Sell plastic and make it look like stainless steel.

lotsoleaks

Reaction score
Ok guys, that ain't very helpful. I don't want the plastic or braided b/c it's a pedestal sink and the lines will show. You see the chrome lines all over the place and they don't leak:confused:

Kordts

In the Trades
Reaction score
Well,
my advice is to remove the leaking speedy and redo it. Make sure you use a wrench and a holdback. Put a little dope or oil on the head of the speedy.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
If this is the one that, for lack of a better word, looks like a ball on top, those are metal to metal. Make sure it goes into the faucet shank straight.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
NO TAPE. Tape is used to seal tapered threads...the ones in those connectors are not tapered. The threads apply pressure to the curved bits, and they make the seal. As noted, if it isn't inserted fully and square to the opening AND tightened enough, but not too much, it will seal just from the metal to metal joint.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks