pro bono plumbers?

Users who are viewing this thread

jewelsanna

Reaction score
I'm in need of some serious help, Dec 28 of 2006 I was in an explosion in the mobile home I was renting. There was a gas leak, and we lost the home, we had no renters insurance. But there is a home in the same trailer park that is for sale, but has some sort of plumbing problem. The owner of that double wide home for sale is late on lot rent and just wants to sell the whole thing. I don't know what is all wrong with the plumbing, just that she was never there when we lived there.
I am asking if there is anyway someone could help us find a pro bono plumber who is willing to help my family. I have two daughters ages 9 and 11, and my oldest one had to switch to a different school, and is having a difficult time dealing with all of this, as well as for myself and spouse.
We have gone to the local lakes And Pines organization and they told me that we would not qualify for any help, because we havent owned the home for one year. Another organization told us they couldnt help because they consider mobile homes as a car, or truck, because of the "mobile home". Salvation Army is unable to help due to funds. And Red Cross cant help us anymore, they could only help us with lodging the first few days after the explosion.
Could someone please send advice, we are living in a basement of a home that is unsatisfactory, and would like to move on with our life but it seems impossible to do under the circumstances. We have money to buy this doublewide, but we dont have the funds for the costs of the plumbers.
Please help us-
Thanks Julie

Cookie

Reaction score
Julie,

I am not a plumber. But, maybe, just a suggestion here. Tell the woman you need to know how much the repairs for the plumbing will be. If she won't get a plumber out there, I would look somewhere else, or pay an inspector to inspect the home; then, offer her less for it to cover the repairs by the plumber.

Maybe, you need to rent before you can buy.

Cookie

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
over many many years I have helped lots of people out in many ways that 1. saved them money, or 2. made them money. Ultimately I have made their lifestyle better, as they spend on things i feel i myself can't justify for myself. Not a pleasant feeling.

it may be too big a subject to compare your current situation with your long term prospects, and to figure out how someone can help you out this year or next and then later either get something back or not.

david

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
jewelsanna said:
The owner of that double wide home for sale is late on lot rent and just wants to sell the whole thing. I don't know what is all wrong with the plumbing ...

I would talk with the park's management about all of that and try to find out what they might be intending to do. Unless they simply want that vacated unit out of the park altogether, they just might be willing to help you get things fixed and get into it once they have possibly claimed it for the back rent that is owed. Other than the matter of repair being needed, my wife and I once moved into a place and began buying it from the management in just that way after the owner had given them the title in lieu of what was owed.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you tell us where you live, there may be someone viewing this topic who just might be willing to come out and take a look at no charge.

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
jewelsanna said:
I'm in need of some serious help, Dec 28 of 2006 I was in an explosion in the mobile home I was renting. There was a gas leak, and we lost the home, we had no renters insurance. But there is a home in the same trailer park that is for sale, but has some sort of plumbing problem. The owner of that double wide home for sale is late on lot rent and just wants to sell the whole thing. I don't know what is all wrong with the plumbing, just that she was never there when we lived there.
I am asking if there is anyway someone could help us find a pro bono plumber who is willing to help my family. I have two daughters ages 9 and 11, and my oldest one had to switch to a different school, and is having a difficult time dealing with all of this, as well as for myself and spouse.
We have gone to the local lakes And Pines organization and they told me that we would not qualify for any help, because we havent owned the home for one year. Another organization told us they couldnt help because they consider mobile homes as a car, or truck, because of the "mobile home". Salvation Army is unable to help due to funds. And Red Cross cant help us anymore, they could only help us with lodging the first few days after the explosion.
Could someone please send advice, we are living in a basement of a home that is unsatisfactory, and would like to move on with our life but it seems impossible to do under the circumstances. We have money to buy this doublewide, but we dont have the funds for the costs of the plumbers.
Please help us-
Thanks Julie

Do you and your spouse smoke?

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
I'd like to be able to look at it myself. I've got to think there is some plumber in your neighborhood who could give someone some free advice and even give you a couple hours of their time. Can't believe that yours is a real big problem.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
free

The problem is the same as with the "disabled veteran please help" guys at the intersections. We do not know who really needs the "free" help, and who is just trying to get a free ride.

Kordts

In the Trades
Reaction score
I hate working under trailers. Then most of the people poor mouth me when I give them the bill. If you can can find a plumber who will tackle this, God Bless him.

lovetohelpya

Reaction score
Lots of the plumbing under trailers (around here MI) are either just pushed together or it's just crap. I LOOOOVE to work under trailers.....for free.... so spacious, so free of animals/bugs/undefinable lovely stuff.....

Seriously, working on plumbing under a trailer is like opening a can of worms. You can see just by the responses to your post how much we all love working under them.

I would work on bartering if I were you. Is your husband a mechanic? Do you like doing yard work/cleaning/painting? If you know you can't pay with money, try to pay another way.
(Please don't offer to help the plumber as a way to work it off. The joke around our office is that you can watch us for free, but you have to pay to help.)

Don't think that we aren't feeling your distress. I've done plenty of pro-bono work myself....just never under a trailer.

"And away goes troubles down the drain." tm

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks