New Hot Water Heater, but still erratic temp

Users who are viewing this thread

lmalnati

Reaction score
I recently bought a new 40 gal tank (gas heated). I have the same problem as with the old tank. In my bathroom somedays I can have the shower level at "H" and the the water will be pretty warm, but not Hot. Other days that same temperature is achieved by setting the shower dial appx a 1/4 up from "H".

I do not have this problem with my faucets just for the shower. I had the same problem prior to getting the old tank, but I was told I needed a new tank. However, I do admit that previously to the new tank if the level were at "H" it was barely warm on SOME days. Other days it was fine.

Why the problem with the shower. The temp is better with the new tank, but not what I expected and it definitely is erractic.
icon9.gif

Unhappy

Last edited by a moderator:

e-plumber

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Shower Faucet Problem

It is possible that the original problem is with the shower faucet itself and not with the water heater :eek:
Did the plumber troubleshoot the problem before the new 40 gallon heater was installed?
Be careful when adjusting the water heater temperature control not to raise it too high to cause burns until the problem is corrected.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
It sounds like you may have a pressure-balanced type shower valve, and the balancing spool may be stuck. This can be disassembled for cleaning and lubrication.

The main thing that goes wrong with water heaters is they leak. SLow recovery can be due to mineral build-up. Fluctuating temp. is not a common symptom.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks