Using my trailer in the winter

Users who are viewing this thread

skeetch

Reaction score
we are adding an addition onto our trailer this summer and want to be able to use the trailer in the winter so we need to put something in for this, water is supplied by the park until october ish then turned off until april, so we need water for the period of oct to apr, we intend to be living here in the near future, what do you we have to put in or do, some kind of water holding tank but what else? We remain hooked up to the sewer system year round so that isnt an issue other then getting water to the toilet for flushing,
thanks
sue
p.s live in canada so cold temps are an issue for freezing

Kordts

In the Trades
Reaction score
If they turn the water off in the winter, that is probably a sign that they don't want year round dwellers there. It is very hard to make summer trailers livable year round. We have the same problem here, a guy turned an old strip mine into a ski resort. At first it was summer only, but then people started living there year round. People buy summer trailers and then live in year round them without checking the plumbing. Many water line freezups and breaks the first January they are there.

skeetch

Reaction score
winter

It is a year round park, this is why we bought in there, you are not allowed to live there however you can go there year round, have to be out 2 weeks a month from dec to apr 1, so I am thinking some kind of water holding tank or something, there are others that have some kind of system and do live there year round,thats being addressed now, alot of them just haul water in every day, but there has to be a way
sue

D.Smith

Reaction score
Just trying to think outside the box here. I imagine if you enclosed under the trailer with insulation and what not you could probley keep it from freezing. To live there year round with no running fresh water from Oct to april would require alot of water. If you could take the grey water from shower and use it for your tolet that would save on water. I dont know if grey water from the shower could be treated to wash dishes with but that is something to check.

I personally think this is a lost cause. Sell the trailer and buy yourself a cottage nearby with all amenitys. You will be spending a pretty penny building this system only to find out it will run short on water 1 week before they open up the water lines or one bitter cold spell that freezes everthing up.

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
heat to prevent freezing.

skeetch said:
.... you are not allowed to live there ... have to be out 2 weeks a month from dec to apr 1 ....
You'd heat the water during each two week interval you are away. That is one way of heating the space too, since heat spreads. Keeping the water warm is the key to all your answers, imho. Insulation on pipes alone is not good enough insurance when you are away, since the structure itself is non-insulated.

If power is out for any length of time (after a storm), you'd have to be available to come out and drain all the pipes and babysit that situation.

You'd still have to carry a lot of water in constantly. A holding tank is good for several days' consumption.

A 6 month membership at a gym is a good way to get showers for free. They might even have a pool and spa.

david

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks