Help The Noob!

Users who are viewing this thread

Fluffmeister

Reaction score
Hello, new here, as you can tell. Hello!

Please help me!!!!!

I have bought a new house complete with Pop Up Waste plugs in all the sinks. :D

All has been working fine for the last 2 months. Last night, I was merrily having a wash in my nice new bathroom sink....I pushed on the plunger to release the soapy water....but.....nothing happened. :mad:

I now have a sink complete with permanent water, a lever that doesnt do anything and a plug which is very very stuck. :(

Can anyone help me in my mission to fix this?

Thanks for your time. Here is a link of the specific rougue pop up plug:

http://www.plumbworld.co.uk/313-1832

{crosses fingers that a plumber isnt required}

x

steevyn

Reaction score
Under the sink, you will find a rod coming down from the lever, and a rod coming out from the side of the drain from the plunger. Check to make sure those two are still tied together in some way, usually a metal clip, or something with a thumb screw on it. Since the lever moves, but the drain won't, that's what it sounds like to me.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

First, reach under the sink and pull the rod coming out of the drain downward. That will release the water. Then put the linkage back together and tighten the screw to hold it together.

Fluffmeister

Reaction score
steevyn said:
Under the sink, you will find a rod coming down from the lever, and a rod coming out from the side of the drain from the plunger. Check to make sure those two are still tied together in some way, usually a metal clip, or something with a thumb screw on it. Since the lever moves, but the drain won't, that's what it sounds like to me.

Thank you both ^ & ^^

They are still attached together

I have also unscrewed the the rod coming out of the drain and pulled it downward. The water doesnt go, as the plug is still stuck and the rod just pulls out! :confused:

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
Welcome to home ownership.

Your choice is to hire a plumber for at least $100 to fix it, or to spend 15 minutes doing it yourself.

It sounds like the rod that goes into the drain pipe may have become disconnected from the stopper, or the stopper is broken.

You need a deep pan that will fit under the trap, a pair of channel lock or large slip-joint pliers, a light, and something to lie on under the sink. The pan is to catch water that you may release during the operation.

First, use a sharp knife to try to lift the stopper from above. If that fails, crawl under the sink and see if there is a nut where that rod goes into the drain pipe. That nut contains a seal and a pivot (often a ball on the rod) so that the end of the rod inside the sink rises when you push down on the part outside the sink. The end of the rod in the pipe is supposed to engage in a hole in the lower part of the stopper.

You might have to take that nut off and try to engage the end of the rod in a hole in the lower end of the stopper. It sometimes takes a little fiddling, and you should note which way the stopper is rotated when you take it out because the bottom is often not symmetrical.

Previous posts have discussed how to adjust the stopper height.

Your job, should you decide to accept it, is to crawl under the sink and use your ingenuity to figure out your exact situation and put it together so it works.

When you have finished, you may congratulate yourself on saving 100 bucks, and do whatever you choose to celebrate.

Homeowners who learn how to fix things that go wrong will easily save $1000 per year on maintenance. Over time, you will acquire a lot of tools and left-over parts that you might need sometime if something else goes wrong.

You are lucky that your first fixit project is probably about the easiest that one could imagine.

Fluffmeister

Reaction score
Bob, you are a marvel and you make perfect sense! :D (I had a bit of fiddle last night, but I didnt want to move anything in case of making it worse!)

I will be attempting to fix my problem when I get home from work, I'll pop by in the morning (or your late night) to update on whether I have broke it! lol.

Girls unite and girls dont need plumbers! {I hope I dont break it! :eek: }

Cheers Bob, you should be a Plumber expert on a cable channel or something - you'd make a fortune! :)

Bye for now!

Fluffmeister

Reaction score
Right, well I followed the instructions - thanks again.

I couldnt get the lever out of the back of the sink, as the sink/pedestal is too close to the wall. SO, I simply removed the waste pipe connected to the sink, used my finger to push up the plug, and then put it all back together again.

It turned out, that the actual plug was not screwed together properly, so everytime you used the lever, the plug was spinning around in circles.

Thank you ever so much for your help, being a girl, I proved that we dont need a man...well.....only on a forum! :D

Cheers Bob.

x

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks