PDA

View Full Version : heat pump??

possum
03-12-2007, 07:04 AM
how can I tell if my furnace has a heat pump on it it says it is a forced air high efficient natural gas furnace but says nothing about a heat pump on it. It was installed in 2000

Bob NH
03-12-2007, 08:00 AM
how can I tell if my furnace has a heat pump on it it says it is a forced air high efficient natural gas furnace but says nothing about a heat pump on it. It was installed in 2000

If it has a heat pump, it will have a system that looks a lot like an air conditioner, with a unit outside that looks like a condensing unit but is really an evaporator, that runs when the weather is cold. The condensing unit might be a combination condensing/evaporating unit. The telling point is that it will be running while you should be heating.

It is very unlikely that you have a heat pump without knowing it.

Rancher
03-12-2007, 09:53 AM
Where do you live and what do you use for cooling? That would determine if you might have a heat pump or not.

Rancher

TedL
03-12-2007, 06:50 PM
Read the plate on the outside unit, and look up the model at the manufacturers's site. In no luck, call a local dealer of the brand with the model #.

jimbo
03-12-2007, 07:45 PM
It is not common to use a heat pump in conjuction with a gas furnace, although it can be done. Look at the thermostat. A heat pump will usually have an orange wire for the reversing valve.