Shower diverter too long????

Users who are viewing this thread

ebeggel

Reaction score
I have read through the 'diverter' posts but cannot find the answer to our problem. We had water damage to our new floor -- I ripped the wall apart and replaced the overflow tube, all valves (3), and seats. The inlet pipes had been replaced ~5 years ago.

The bath faucet drips a small stream of water when the shower is on (it always has).

It almost seems like the diverter valve is too long: When it's counter clockwise the shower runs and the tub faucet leaks. When I turn it just a tiny amount the shower valve seems closed and water gushes out of the tub spout.

Is there a length adjustment in the valve itself? All valves are Price-Pfisters. We matched the new diverter to the old. Was the valve always wrong?
Thanks.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
diverter

There are two different PP diverters, but they are not interchangeable, so if yours screwed in it is the correct one for that valve. We cannot tell why yours is not working, assuming it is a completely new diverter and not one that was rebuilt.

ebeggel

Reaction score
diverter too long? - no pressure at shower

After changing the seat (and valve) in the diverter I also had no pressure at the shower head. I thought this might be because the valve washer might be too thick.

Then I looked at the old seats and one had a smaller profile. I put this one back into the diverter but it threaded itself in and fell behind the threads. I cannot get it out.

Is there a way to cut it or remove it?

photo attached. Help is much appreciated.

Attachments

• diverter_seat 001.jpg
    diverter_seat 001.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 746

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
seat

Congratulations, you may have turned a simple faucet repair into a remodeling job. Try inserting a square seat tool part way into the seat's broach and then wedge a small, thin screwdriver next to it. That may create enough force to allow you to turn, pull, and remove it. Otherwise, you will have to open the wall, take the valve out, and then possibly install a new valve, if the seat will not drop out of the faucet.

Spaceman Spiff

Architect
Reaction score
There is a tool called a reverse plier where it opens up it's jaws when you grip the handle. It is similar to an outside snap ring plier (that may work too). Mine is a craftsman... That may help you out. Saved me countless swear words...:rolleyes:

ebeggel

Reaction score
Is there an easy way to change diverter valve?

First of all thanks to all who offered advice. I managed to cram another seat into the diverter chamber and got the shower going again (narrowly avoiding what would have been the major complaint here).

Is there a way to change the diverter by installing a bathtub spout with a diverter in it; avoiding the job of pulling apart the diverter we have now?
Or any other kind of diverter (different brand?)?
Thanks.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
We generally call the part a valve stem. With a new diverter valve stem and the correct seat, you should have no problems. But having said that, I don't see why you couldn't leave the diverter valve stem in the open position and install a tub spout with pull-up diverter. To pull out the jammed seat, I would try wedging a drill bit (a little bigger than the hole) into the center of it and then slowly reversing it out.

ebeggel

Reaction score
Seat is out: Diverter valve still leaks

After a week the seat is out. With a new valve, seal, and seat the bathtub spout still leaks when the shower runs.

By my reckoning the valve should be open when the shower runs. Why does the water still come out of the tub spout?

Is there a clog in the pipe above the diverter? There is a shower filter before the
shower head. Could this be causing back pressure?

It seems like this is a common problem. The reason I am trying to stop the leak is because we want to fill the tub with filtered water (we have a 'T' after the shower filter). This is so the children will not be exposed to unfiltered (it's not the best quality) water.

Thanks

Attachments

• diverterseat_out.jpg
    diverterseat_out.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 617

Markts30

Commercial Plumber
Reaction score
ebeggel said:
Is there a clog in the pipe above the diverter? There is a shower filter before the
shower head. Could this be causing back pressure?

I would remove the filter and see if the leak stops...
It very well could be that the filter is the cause of all the problems...

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
Is your water supply rated safe by your local government or not, because it sounds like your chasing something that you may not catch. Have people become ill?

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
1. In many cases, a small percentage of water will leak from the spout when the shower is going--and there's nothing you can do about it.

2. They make a dechlorinator that is connected to the tub spout:

Attachments

• Bath Filter.jpg
    Bath Filter.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 517

ebeggel

Reaction score
Do all diverter brands leak?

Thanks for the info. I have a young daughter with a compromised immune system and like to do what I can.

Do all brands of tub/shower faucets have this problem? If I upgrade will this leak go away?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Most of the tub spout diverters end up leaking a little after awhile - some do it from the beginning. When it gets too bad, replace them. A separate valve diverter is often rebuildable, and should be able to direct all of the water where you want it. A small number of valves assemblies have them built-in - but, many can have one added on.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks