Bed and Breakfast toilet switch

Users who are viewing this thread

nfpjeff

Reaction score
I have just purchased a 11 room bed and breakfast that had their toilets installed in 1986 - Mansfield 3.5's. They look pretty worn and grungy inside.

We are on the town sewer and pay for our water and sewer usage.

I am considering changing the toilets before the May season begins with the Toto Drake. A local plumber swears by them.

Seems like it would make sense money-wise to replace the 3.5's with the 1.6's since we pay for the water "in and out" along with the better looks and up to date insides for our guest's experience.

Plumber quoted about $225 each plus and hour of labor. So the job seems like it can be done in 2 days at a cost of around $3,000.

People also say that the 3.5's could be sold in the paper to other folks who want to still replace their 3.5's and not go to a 1.6.

What do you say? Anything I should look out for?

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm not sure there is much market for the old 3.5's, but you could take a shot at at selling them. Just make sure any you sell would be "as is, where is". I think you're making an excellent decision to replace with Toto, and that seems like a pretty good price for the labor. Unless you have plenty of time and want to DIY, but replacing 11 units is a fair amount of work, and you're better off having the pro do it, especially since even on "simple" remove and replace jobs, there always seems to be the unforseen problems that suddenly appear half way through the job.

nfpjeff

Reaction score
Bed and Breakfast toilets

Thanks Gary. This is one of many projects going on while we get ready for the season in May. Personally I would rather just put them in the "roll-of" we have here and send them off to the dump. But everyone always thinks they are worth something. We are going to have a Spring sale and whatever does not sell -off to the dump.

I always use pros since this is a business too and I want the best for the guests.

nfpjeff

Reaction score
Bed and Breakfast toilets

Yes, but they are worn and grungy 3.5's! :)

JohnD

Reaction score
With the performance of today's 1.6 toilets, the demand for 3.5 toilets isn't what it used to be. Save yourself some time and pitch them while you have dumpster on site.

nfpjeff

Reaction score
B&B Toilets - ADA vs Regular Model

Based upon the fact that most of our B&B's guests are in the 40-70 age bracket, it would seem to make sense to use the ADA Drake model instead of the regular height Drake model..

What do you thnk?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Sounds good to me...I bought one for my mother, she now has a "regular" one and an ADA height one. She and I like the ADA height one better.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks