Second Floor Laundry

Users who are viewing this thread

anthonydad

Reaction score
I am considering moving my laundry closet to the second floor of my 2-story house. Presently have the W/D on my first floor (above the basement).

Why didn't my 6 year old house come with a clothes washer pan & drain for accidental leaks?

I rented an apartment years ago that had this drain pan setup.

Question:

Where can I drain this pan? To the outside or basement?

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Codes vary on the requirements for a pan. Today, most places would want a pan or a floor drain under a machine on the second floor. It could be drained to a floor drain in the basement if you have one, or to the outside of the house. Checfk with your local authorities on this. You also have to figure out where to vent the dryer, and you have to get gas or 240 up there for it as well.

Coz

Reaction score
in my state we dont require safe pans the insurance companies found out they do little. they keep transmission fluid off your floor is all. most damage is done by a blown hose. whats the chance of the hose landing in the pan? get good hoses and shut it off when you`re not using it. install a single handle valve make it routine to shut it off and your all set . they have valves that shut off automaticly when they sense moisture.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Braded stainless steel hoses also help with bursting issues.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks