Non-standard drain size

Users who are viewing this thread

joan07

Reaction score
I removed my old drain from the bathtub, but can't find replacement that would fit into the threads of drain pipe. I think the pipe is old (house is built in 1940, but tub was replaced since then) and diameter is smaller than 2", it looks like about 1 7/8". Standard drain doesn't fit, it's slightly too big.

Do you know if anyone makes drains that size or sells old ones?

thank you.

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
I had the same kind of problem with a drain modification even though all the parts came from the same manufacturer. You best bet is probably going to be taking your old drain into a store where you can actually mate and match it.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

I can't figure out what you are talking about, but there were no "non standard" drains or pipes, other than 1 3/8" tubular for the old leg tubs. 1 7/8" is the o.d. of 1 1/2" pipe.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

IF that is the case, then there were many, many different sizes. Besides having different diameters, there were different threads per inch. A very, very well supplied plumbing parts store might have the adapter bushings to connect the new one to the old thread, or might be able to order one.

Coz

Reaction score
yes tub shoes vary a real plumbing supply house is the way to go. home depot and lowes sells one that has 2 sizes. go to an old school supply house they have all kinds of odd stuff hanging around

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks