View Full Version : toilet flange not straight

02-23-2007, 01:44 PM

I have just finished putting in a new tile floor on a slab in our bathroom. In order to bring the flange up to the height of the tile, I will need to put in a 1/2" flange extender. However, the current flange is not straight. I can't recall if the toilet was straight before, but when I pulled the toilet up, the closet bolts were bent. Now, I am in a bind. How do I install the extender on the current flange when the current flange is not straight? Images don't show much of a discrepancy, but it is there.



02-23-2007, 01:56 PM
A toilet flange is designed to sit on top of the finished floor. Some projection above the floor is okay. How far off is it from max to min? If no part of it sits above the floor by more than about 5/16", you should be able to make it work. Depending on the offset from high to low, it may be too big for a standard wax ring, so you might want a thick one or use one of the waxless jobs made by Fluidmaster or (I can't think of the other major brand right now!).

02-23-2007, 02:06 PM
Actually, it is not a height problem. The flange is actually twisted. One hole in the flange is 9 1/4" from the wall and the other is 9 5/8". May not sound like much, but it is.

02-23-2007, 02:36 PM
You don't have to match up the holes in the extender with the holes in the bottom flange...just drill new ones through the bottom flange. Or get an extender with the elongated bolt holes, which may line up OK.

02-23-2007, 03:09 PM
It is the bottom flange whose holes are not straight. It must have been installed that way 10 years ago and the toilet was put on crooked. I want to put it on straight this time, but I don't know how to make it work with the flange being like it is.

02-23-2007, 03:11 PM
The bottom image just shows a clearer picture of how far off the bottom flange is.

02-23-2007, 04:17 PM
Just anchor it down with the new holes where you want them...drill if you need to.

02-27-2007, 06:58 PM
you could chisel your current flange off and replace it with the type that glues into the pipe. it would be a much more solid fix. those spacers are flimsey.

02-27-2007, 07:00 PM
or you may be able to elongate the flange holes to straighten.. the left side looks close. ream it out to get it centered