Toilet bowl repair?

Users who are viewing this thread

TheEdster771

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a toilet that the bowl water keeps draining out within 24 hours or so if unused. I removed the toilet and placed it in the shower and filled with water to verify it was isolated to the bowl leaking down.

I have noticed a small crack in the throat of the bowl drain and I am assuming that the bowl water is leaking through this crack into the drainpipe. There are no leaks around the base of the toilet, the leak is internal.

I first thought about replacing the toilet but am having a difficult time matching the color. The toilet is in a rental unit so aesthetics is not a top priority. The toilet is an older Crane unit and I was wondering if there might be a repair I could use on the crack?

Thanks,

Ed

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I don't think you would have any success trying to patch the leak. It sounds to me like time to replace with a new unit.

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I agree with Gary. Probably the only real chance you have is if you can get to the crack from inside the toilet using a dremmel with sanding or grinding disc to rough it up a little and you might get some JB Weld to adhere to it pretty well... otherwise stuff like silicone will be gone in short order.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks