Vanity/sink installation question

Users who are viewing this thread

Jumpyg

Reaction score
This might be a stretch for this forum, but I was hoping somebody may be able to help.

I have installed a new 48" x 21" vanity in my master bath. I have a 49" x 22" vanity top/sink combo that will go on top. The catch is there is a 13" wall that the vanity sits against on its right side. So, I need to trim about 1/2" off the right edge. Another complicating factor is that the corner of the wall is not square! I have a picture below showing this, as well as the approximate outline of the vanity top once I get done cutting it.

The question is, how do I cut the vanity top? It is made by American Classics (RSI) and is "cultured marble."

I was thinking circular saw or jigsaw or a combination of the two. I don't know what type of blade to use, though. I can't just use the circular only, as I have to "notch" into the vanity top. I was also thinking of masking next to the cut to minimize chipping. Not sure what kind of edge I'll have at the end.

Thanks! :)

--Jim

Attachments

• vanity2.jpg
    vanity2.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 594
  • outline.gif
    outline.gif
    1.6 KB · Views: 546
Last edited:

Kristi

Tradesman Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.prettyplumbing.com
Cutting your marble sinktop

I would definitely consider building the wall out so it is a straight line for starters. That's a tough call when you're talking about marble, a custom angle, and a one shot cut. Personally, I would build the wall out the 1/2" or so to get a straight line, then trace your cutout pattern onto the marble and take it to someone with the professional tools to do - I would not trust any easily purchased blade, jigsaw, or skilsaw to make this cut!

ps... if you work with that angle, it will stand out like a sore thumb and always bother you when you see it! It will take away from the beauty of the marble you've just installed!

pps... also, is it not an option to move the cabinet to the left so you do not have to cut the top at all?

Last edited:

Jumpyg

Reaction score
Kristi-- Thanks for the reply!

I just want to be clear that this isn't real marble. It's a $140 vanity top from HD. I cannot move the vanity, so that option is out.

What do you mean by "building the wall out"? The entire wall from the ceiling on down? That seems a bit extreme. We are only talking about a 1/4" difference from the back to the front. I'm guessing the previous vanity/laminate top was done the way I'm proposing, and I never noticed it. I'm not sure how eise it could have been done. :confused:

Last edited:

Bob's HandyGuy

Reaction score
It is a rare surface in a wood framed home that is exactly square, plumb or level. This thread may be useful to you. https://terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?t=499 I have never cut cultured marble, however, after cutting a laminate counter, I found that a router gave me the cleanest edge. With a fence to guide it, you can ease down a little at a time. It doesn't heat up like a blade and melt the material. If you do have small chips, they are easily concealed by a bead of grout or silicone.

Jumpyg

Reaction score
Thanks a lot, Bob! :)

I think I will try the belt sander method. It seems like there is a lot more room for error that way. I can fit the top on the vanity multiple times if necessary till I get just the right fit. Seems like much less chance of making a big mistake than with the circular saw.

RioHyde

Plumber
Reaction score
A Rotozip with a tile cutting blade will cut the CM. Are you putting a side splash on the wall in question? The side splash would most likely cover the gap as well as any imperfections from cutting/sanding the CM edge. Just a thought....

Good luck

Jumpyg

Reaction score
RioHyde said:
A Rotozip with a tile cutting blade will cut the CM. Are you putting a side splash on the wall in question? The side splash would most likely cover the gap as well as any imperfections from cutting/sanding the CM edge. Just a thought....
Good luck
I bought a matching sidesplash and will try to use it. There again, though, I will need to cut/sand the sidesplash to deal with the out-of-square wall.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
cut

As long as you are using a backsplash, you can cut the notch square and even a little oversized and put the splash on top of it. You can use a jigsaw or other fine toothed blade, cutting from the bottom of of the countertop so it does not chip the surface.

Jumpyg

Reaction score
Well, I ended up using a 3 x 21 inch Craftsman belt sander with 50 grit belts to do the job. The wall that the back of the vanity top rests against is slightly bowed in the middle, so I had gaps on both sides where the backsplash meets the wall. I had to trim down the middle of the backsplash to get a better fit. I also took 1/2" off the right side of the vanity top to fit it along the wall on the right side.

I ended up using about 4 belts and it took at least 10 trips up and down the stairs fitting the vanity top in place and then going back downstairs to trim off some more material. It was a real pain, but I don't know how else I could have done it. I'm very satisfied with the results, though. More importantly, wife is happy. :D

Thanks everyone for the advice. I'm glad I used the sander and didn't try a saw.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks