Problem with old shower faucett/parts

Users who are viewing this thread

Jkeyler

Reaction score
Background: About 25 years ago, we updated our bathroom and installed a Sears Single Control Tub and Shower Valve. In recent years, in obtaining replacement rebuild kits from Sears and installing the parts, the shower would almost immediately start leaking through the spout and would gradually get worse. After inspecting the rubbber inlet seals, it is obvious that they are getting sliced up during use. That makes me think that the rebuild kits are not the best or correct partsfor this particular valve assy. There are no markings on the valve assemby to identify the brand, nor in the Sears owner manual (which I still have after all these years). I took the parts to a local plumbing supply firm and they could not determine what manufacture that were from. I don't want to replace this shower assy as it would require tearing into adjacent walls, etc. Is it possible that anyone may be familiar with the Sears Combination tub and shower valve assy of that era (who manufactured them for Sears)?, and where might be able to obtain the correct parts for same?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

TedL

Reaction score
So, you're getting the specified parts from Sears, but whatever you're replacing is not fixing the problem? And you're looking to buy the same parts from a different source?

If that's it, I think you're making a mistake. Most likely it's that you're not replacing what's really worn out/broken.

If you want t make it easier for someone to help you, post a link to the exploded parts diagram for your model at the Sears parts web site. If you don't know how, at least give the full model # so someone can find it...it's on that owners manual you have.

Jkeyler

Reaction score
I understand what you are saying, however, a previous repair kit I ordered from sear was incorrect in that it was keyed differently and required the knob to be installed upside down. The repair kit I have installed now is from Sears. At any rate, the model number of the Sears Single Control Combination Tub and Shower Valve I have is 702.20760. Their current repair kit(s) numbers are 31502S and 80688. You don't get all the parts in one kit now, so you have to order separately. I don't remember which is which, however one of those numbers were for the springs and inlet seals (2 each) only. The last time I ordered these parts (Nov, 06), I could not find the manual on the Sears website, so had to talk to a Sears rep via phone.
Thanks for your help.

Lancaster

Reaction score
Valley Faucet was the manufacturer of that valve.Since they are defunct,original equipment parts will not be available and by definition,any replacement parts will be "aftermarket" parts.
I have never bought these parts from Sears,most any good hardware store has them hanging on the wall marked "seals and springs for Valley faucets".Some plumbing supply houses have them too.I have never had any problem with them.Its true that sand and grit in the water will tear up the seals.Not much you can do about that.

TedL

Reaction score
Jkeyler said:
The last time I ordered these parts (Nov, 06), I could not find the manual on the Sears website, so had to talk to a Sears rep via phone.
Thanks for your help.

The exploded parts diagram and list are there now.

Jkeyler

Reaction score
Lancaster, Thanks for the information regarding the manufacturer. That is just what I was interested in. To go a little farther regarding the repair parts I received from Sears, it seems that the holes in the plastic item that mates with the rubber seals is larger than necessary, and the edges of the circumference are very sharp, thereby cutting into the rubber seals as the handle is moved to turn the water flow on/off. I think I will remove that part and by sanding, break that sharp edge to see if that helps. I will also pursue getting replacement parts that are for the "Valley" manufactured faucett that you identified.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
The parts will often be labeled "Valley..Sears..Aquadyne"/

It sounds like you should change the stem, as well as the seals. Most of the single and two handle stems are still also available.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
faucet

It is indeed a Valley faucet, and one thing not shown in the breakdown are the two white plastic sleeves that go in the bottom of the springs, opposite the rubber seals. HD and others have both the seat/spring repair kit and the new control unit. Replace them all.

Jkeyler

Reaction score
Parts

Thanks to all who have contributed to my concern. I've been snowed in and have to gotten to HD yet to get parts. Thanks to all.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks