Hot Water heater Connections

Users who are viewing this thread

pilotboat

Reaction score
New hot water heater (GE) has female galvinised pipe fittings built flush to the surface of the tank. A galvinished pipe riser is installed so it can be piped onto a copper adapter. My question is "dosen't the two disimilar metals cause problems down the road?"' and "should pipe dope or teflon tape (or both) be used between the copper fitting and the gal pipe?"

GoTanklessToday

In the Trades
Reaction score
pilotboat said:
New hot water heater (GE) has female galvanized pipe fittings built flush to the surface of the tank. A galvanized pipe riser is installed so it can be piped onto a copper adapter. My question is "doesn't the two dissimilar metals cause problems down the road?"' and "should pipe dope or Teflon tape (or both) be used between the copper fitting and the gal pipe?"

Where I'm from, we use flexible copper connectors that are designed to attach to galv fittings. You must use dielectric union if you are going to run your copper water lines straight to the heater.

And by the way, its a cold water heater, not a hot water heater. haha

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
The tank should have had the nipples included. They are not galvanized, but a material that will safely make the transition to the copper flex lines. I use the old fashioned pipe compound rather than tape, but tape will work.

Markts30

Commercial Plumber
Reaction score
GoTanklessToday said:
And by the way, its a cold water heater, not a hot water heater. haha

If you have a re-circ system, it could be considered both...LOL

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Boy am I confused... I thought it was a heater that made the cold water hot???? Or does the heater make it cold???? HELP>>> I'm going to weird out.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
heater

if you are going to pedantic over semantics, then it is a "cold water heater" for a couple of minutes until the water is raised one degree. Then it becomes a "warm water" heater until the water temperature increases even more. At that point it becomes a "hot water" heater until the thermostat is satisfied.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks