PDA

View Full Version : Pop-up drain plug required in bathroom sink?

Les IsMore
02-06-2007, 02:42 PM
When I went to buy faucets for a bathroom remodeling project, I was told that a pop-up drain plug is required to meet "national code" -- whatever that is. (Or it could be an FHA or HUD requirement or some such, I suppose.) It was explained to me that if I don't put one in now, I'll have to put one in if I ever try to sell the house.

The problem is, I hate pop-up drain plugs. To me they are just a Mickey-Mouse contraption that's got to be cleaned, fixed, and probably replaced in 5 years. Just a Rube-Goldberg goop collector to decorate all that beautiful gleaming chrome artwork that required a second mortgage. And we never even fill the sink.

Am I being fed a line here? Will I really have to replace all that great plumbing just to sell the house? (I'm not planning to, but in 10 years, who knows?) Do I have to buy a faucet with a pop-up drain just to satisfy some bureaucrat who never had to clean or repair one? Should I buy a faucet with a drain plug, but install a real drain (you know, one with a hole all the way through it) and leave this useless knob just hang there -- or can I just buy something I like? Suggestions?

TedL
02-06-2007, 04:34 PM
You could leave the pop-up in the bag, put it in the back corner of the vanity, and install it in 5 minutes or less when you go to sell the house.

Les IsMore
02-06-2007, 06:29 PM
Yeah, that's what I might do. But no, it wouldn't take just 5 minutes. I would replace the whole drain. Because that's just the way I do things.

But do you happen to know if there is anything to what the salesman told me? That's what I really need to know.

TedL
02-06-2007, 08:00 PM
I have to ask...why would you replace the whole drain rather than just dropping the pop up into it? "Loose" installation is an option for all the pop-ups I've seen. I really don't understand...................that's taking anal to a whole new level.

Cass
02-07-2007, 04:03 AM
If you remove the pop up you will know one of the reasons it is there when you drop something down the hole and try to retrieve it.

You can install a grid type drain to prevent things from falling in.

The main purpose for the pop up is to fill the sink.

Personally I never use the pop up and don't know many people who do.

Les IsMore
02-07-2007, 07:49 AM
Personally I never use the pop up and don't know many people who do.
Precisely. It's useless, I don't like it, and it's just one more thing to clean and maintain. My preferred alternative is to install a straight drain with no obstructions and get a little removable strainer that fits right in the top. That works perfectly, and it's easily cleaned.

I notice that no one has attempted to answer the question. :) Does anyone know whether a pop-up drain plug required by some code or other?

geniescience
02-07-2007, 09:54 AM
there is your answer. Talk to another sales person.

Don't insist that you would re-do tons of plumbing either. Please.

david

Les IsMore
02-07-2007, 01:45 PM
Thanks. So the salesman's statement was bogus, then.

And no, I wouldn't redo tons of plumbing. Just the valve and the top 6" of the drain -- worst case.

Let me put it this way. The faucets I'm looking at don't have pop-up drains, and I don't want someone insisting later on that I change a perfectly good faucet.