PVC Pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

Chris

Reaction score
I have a newly installed 1-1/2" PVC vent line for my bathtub that I screwed up, to use the technical term.

I was working on my back in a crawlspce, gluing the vent into a wye in the drain. My hand slipped, the glue setup, and now the think is crooked as heck. This normally wouldn't matter, but it's blocking access to the cold water shutoff.

Obviously, I can cut the whole thing apart and start over, but I'd just as soon not do that.

So, it seems like the options I have, short of a complete redo, are:

1) Pull the vent pipe back to straight and fasten it in place with plumbers tape. There is more than enough flex in the pipe to do this, but it would mean the pipe would be under strain constantly.

2) I've worked with PVC electrical conduit a lot, and it's not unusual to heat that stuff with a heat gun and bend it a little, to make small offsets and the like. Is this feasible with plumbing PVC?

3) I can cut the vent pipe and put on a 1-1/2" Fernco, then fasten the pipe as in Option 1. This basically means that the Fernco would be under strain instead of the pipe, so I'm not sure it's an improvement.

Any opinions and alternatives would be welcome. Thanks in advance.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks