Current thoughts on Plumbers Putty vs Silicon Caulk

Users who are viewing this thread

racine

Reaction score
I'm sorry to have to bring this up again but I've already done a search and read all the discussions. Problem is I'm new in this small town, the plumber who put in my plumbing (5 faucets/ sinks, showers, etc...) lost his wife to Cancer halfway through his job on my house. Since then all faucets, sinks have leaked partially damaging cabinets. He didn't even use teflon tape on the shower heads and all 3 leaked.

I disassembled my kitchen sink today and the putty disintegrated. I'm wanting to install this myself as the last 2 plumbers I called didn't even return my calls? Now I'm leaning towards using silicon caulk for the kitchen sink and wondered what your thoughts were and what brand and type you've recommend. I know I'll have to let it dry for 2 days or so but please share some of your quick thoughts- I'd be very grateful and thank you in advance.
Hanging out in Lower Mississippi,
Racine

PS. Should I use the rubber washer on top instead of on the bottom or get another one for both top and bottom?

sink-basket-with-silicone.jpg

Norcal1

Plumber/Owner
Reaction score
I never use silicon on basket strainers, I only use plumber's putty...never had a problem with leaking.

No, don't use a rubber gasket under the basket strainer, that goes under the sink.

Also, I don't use teflon tape on showerhead installs. They have rubber washers that are supposed to create a seal with the shower arm.

sink-basket-with-putty.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Racer814

Reaction score
I use putty...some people view it as an archaic method and silicone as the modern way but it works as well as silicone does and I like the ease of disassembly.....those basket strainers won't leak either way if done correctly but you will thank yourself down the road for using putty when you decide to change them out ....

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
leaks

What leaked on the faucets? Many faucets, these days, have built in, or added, seal so that neither putty or silicone is needed. Most shower heads gave a rubber flow restrictor that also acts as the seal so they do not need a joint compound or tape to seal them either. As far as the putty that disintegrated, where was it used? Plumber's putty stays soft and pliable for a long time after it is installed.

sink-basket-with-putty.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Improper instaltion of putty, by using to much will cause it to wash out over time. I have seen many installs that the plumber used to much and did not comperss it enough and eventualy it washed out. Again the most common problem I run into is using to much putty.

Some bathroom sinks come with a warning not to use putty because the oil in the putty can cause them to crack and discolor.

racine

Reaction score
No on the Silicon Caulk

Thanks for your opinions and replies. As far as the shower heads go all of them leaked around the threads. I used teflon tape on all and the leaks stopped-was there a better method?
As far as the faucets went, they all leaked from the plastic tubes/water source leading up to the metal faucets(every last one of them Moens). I simply tightened all of them up and that fixed it?.
Everyone so far has recommended putty. Should I use 10 yr old stuff or get new putty( hardware store help said 'putty is putty, I know my dads a plumber.')? I appreciate all of your responses very much and thank you for sharing your experience...
Racine

racine

Reaction score
Thanks Much

I chose the putty simply from all the comments and suggestions. I put this together in 5 min. and hope not to look back for a long time. Your many inputs have be helpful for someone who has never done this. Thanks Again.
Racine

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks