PDA

View Full Version : PVC shut off valve to copper pipe

gjackterry
01-28-2007, 04:01 PM
I am trying to replace a leaking pvc shut off valve under the kitchen sink. It is seemingly not a compression valve because there is no nut on the back of the valve. The valve appears to be slid onto and bonded to the copper pipe somehow. The supply line to the faucet is connected to the valve via a crimped ferrel that is permanently connected to the valve. How can this valve be replaced?

Randyj
01-28-2007, 05:56 PM
Got a picture? Sounds like it has to be some type of compression connection. If not, you may have to cut it off then replace either with a threaded fitting or compression type valve.

gjackterry
01-28-2007, 06:12 PM
I don't have a picture handy but I can take one and post it. As far as cutting it off is concerned there is barely one inch of copper pipe sticking out of the wall behind th existing valve.

hj
01-28-2007, 07:16 PM
First try pulling the valve while twisting it from side to side. If that does not work, "destroy" the valve to get to the barbed metal ring holding the valve in place. Once you get to it, snip it with a pair of snips or cutting pliers and it will come off.