Tale of 2 Toilets

Users who are viewing this thread

cburkenn

Reaction score
I have a new home <1 year old. There are 2 bathrooms and both have the exact same 1.6gpf toilet installed. However, the performaces of the toilets are quite different.

Toilet #1 (guest bathroom) has no clogging issues. It has been put to the test several times and not once have I ever had to unclog it.

Toilet #2 (master bathroom) clogs about 2 - 3 times a week, depending on use. I have actually seen it clog on 1 strip of toilet paper. All clogs can be cleared with a plunger. I have attemted to snake the toilet as well, but no improvement. There are no gurgling effects on other fixures in the house.

The only visible difference between the two toilets is that toilet #2 is further from the wall than toilet #1. Could this be the cause? :confused:

I am in the process of requesting warranty work, but I would like to have some support for the builder to fix this issue.

Does anyone know possible reasons for the extreme difference in performance?

Thank you.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I would either snake or pull the bad one and see if there is anything in the trapway that is hanging things up.

Sometimes during construction, workers use the toilet as a waste basket.

RioHyde

Plumber
Reaction score
yeah, what Terry said! :mad: Workers use the toilets for trash cans AND I've seen some use sump pits for toilets! When I see that, I think to myself, "Looks like its time for the apprentice to learn to install a sump pump". lol

BluesBrother

Reaction score
That Ain't All the Subs Put Down Toilets

I had a house built and during punch-out, the builder discovered that two of the toilets didn't work. They pulled the toilets and camera'ed the lines, and discovered that someone had poured thinset into the lines. They had to root the lines to dislodge and flush out the hardened thinset (a BIG job, as you can imagine) after which both toilets worked OK.

Apparently the subs had it in for this builder for some reason, and the unlucky homeowner (me) paid the price for their displeasure.

Deb

Plumber
Reaction score
Deb

I have also seen an instance where the knockout went down the line and would butterfly, causing intermittent problems that plunging always took care of.
Deb
The Pipewench

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks