Flapper/flush valve--itis

Users who are viewing this thread

spotty

Reaction score
Help!

It started with a phantom flush---four different flappers later----still had problems---flapper would hang/or flapper would bind--etc. I tried all lengths of chain---changed the handle and even tried fishing line instead of chain---no luck!!

I purchased a Korky Plus univ.repair kit---flush valve, new seals, fill valve. I ripped the tank off, installed the thing and got it up and running and it seemed to work fine for a few days. Now---I notice that every so often, I hear a his from the fill valve, the water level has dropped about a 1/2 inch or so and I see water trickling into the bowl---sort of like when the falpper isn.t sealing properly. This is new stuff!

So---now I am going to try a fluid master kit before I decide whether or not to replace the toilet!

Any help with this ongoing problem would be greatly appreciiated.

Toilet----am. strd.
Age---three years
type---I bought it in canada----3 gal flush

Until a week ago---it performed flawlessly!

I really could use some advice since there is no antibiotic for flush/flapper--itis:eek:

peace

Norcal1

Plumber/Owner
Reaction score
When the toilet is not in use, shut off the water to the toilet. Add food color to the tank and see if it goes into the bowl. If it does, it's either the flapper or flush valve, as you know. Probably the seal underneath the flush valve, a very common problem. Often the bottom of the tank has an irregularity around the flush valve hole. Dry the bottom of the tank thoroughly and add a little plumber's goop or other quality sealant to the bottom of the flush valve gasket.

It could also be that you just didn't tighten the flush valve nut enough...another common problem. In which case, just pull the tank off and retighten the nut a little more.

Good luck.

spotty

Reaction score
will try

Thx for that quick response---never thought about irreg. in the tank surface or a loose tank nut/bolt.

I guess since this was a new valve----I did not think it would be a problem but I never thought about the nut or tank. Will try with another new kit---probably this time a fluid master--and will be careful to check that nut and thje atnk surface.

peace

PS:

Just for my own future ref----how would a loose nut or the irregularity cause the same prob. as a bad flapper?

spotty

Reaction score
redo

Well---I installed the fluid master kit--and--as with the Korky kit--all went well.

Now---if I still get water leaking into the bowl---tell me please---what would you do next---repalce the toilet??

I have done:

4 different flappers
numerous chain lengths
fishing line
straps---then

two kit replacements (korky, now fluidmaster)

I am not a plumber----but I ahve worked with toilets in the past and NEVER had this problem!

I need a doctor!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
tank

I AM a plumber, and have never had the problems you describe, in fact, I have only replaced the center flush valve when the customer has broken the riser pipe off.

spotty

Reaction score
HJ:

yea---I figured as much--that is why I felt loke an idiot to even post my question.

I am not a plumber--I am a CPA---but---I am not afraid to tackle plumbing problems esp. my own---and---honestly I am stumped! I also have never run into this problem on any other tiolet I worked on. I never had flapper probs. or flush probs.

Anyway---now you know why I need an antibiotic!

PS:

On the second instll of a flush valve---the fluidmaster---so far so good. If this shows the same symtoms---I will replace the damn (canadian--3gl.) toilet!!

peace

Norcal1

Plumber/Owner
Reaction score
spotty said:
Thx for that quick response---never thought about irreg. in the tank surface or a loose tank nut/bolt.

I guess since this was a new valve----I did not think it would be a problem but I never thought about the nut or tank. Will try with another new kit---probably this time a fluid master--and will be careful to check that nut and thje atnk surface.

peace

PS:

Just for my own future ref----how would a loose nut or the irregularity cause the same prob. as a bad flapper?

Because a loose nut doesn't allow the gasket under the flush valve to seal properly, same with irregularities in the bottom of the tank where the gasket seals. These 2 problems cause water to drip thru the gasket under the flush valve and it goes to the same place as the water that drips by the flapper...the toilet bowl. Then the tank refills because it has lost water and the float opens the fill valve.

Hope that helps.

spotty

Reaction score
Thanks to all who replied---I tried again with a fluid master kit---I checked and rechecked all bolts and gasketsa and locations and such to be sure I installed correctly.

FINALLY---after a week and a half of flappers and kits--success!

I guess somewhere along the way I screwed up and/or got a bad flapper and/or kid!

Thx to all who gave advice

Norcal1

Plumber/Owner
Reaction score
spotty said:
Thanks to all who replied---I tried again with a fluid master kit---I checked and rechecked all bolts and gasketsa and locations and such to be sure I installed correctly.

FINALLY---after a week and a half of flappers and kits--success!

I guess somewhere along the way I screwed up and/or got a bad flapper and/or kid!

Thx to all who gave advice

Good for you...thanks for the update. :)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks