One more turn on shower arm?

Users who are viewing this thread

Laneman

Reaction score
I'm screwing in a new shower arm on a bath remodel and it lines up just as it begins to get snug. Does not feel like it is tight enough to seal, and I was wondering if I should/could go one more turn, or should I load it up with pipe dope and stop where I am?

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
That is one of those judgment calls one learns to make over time, and I often consider the size of the tool and grip required as indicators! If you do not have a shutoff in your showerhead, this particular connection will never see full line pressure ...

From what you have described, I would go another round and then decide about going any farther.

PS: I get a kick from the torque spec for a certain GM bolt: "Fully seated on bottom, not broken"!

Last edited:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
What tool are you using to tighten it?

What you learn from trial and error is to sense that point where it is "tight enough" and stop that turn at the proper point. If you go past, you are committed for another full turn, which may be too much.

The handle of a 12" channellock in the pipe is a good tool.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
I've found that with shower arms and tub spouts, you can almost always coax out that last turn to get it in the correct position. But, if you're not sure you can get another full turn out of it and you think it might leak, unscrew it and wrap the threads with teflon tape and then tighten it back up again.

I like to use a plumbers pliers to tighten shower arms after I've wrapped a rag around it.

Last edited:

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
I tighten with 2 hands and some leverage from the 45 to the end of the pipe. Teflon tape is my choice also. I have never had a scratch or leak.

shower-arm-terrylove-01.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks