compression vs sweat

Users who are viewing this thread

fast pasquale

hardwood flooring contractor
Reaction score
ive installed a bunch of shut off valves this week most were on toilets and used the "speedy stop"....1/4 turn.....compression fittings... no one around here carries this in a sweat connection... so i guess my ? is how much better is a sweated connection as opposed to a compression fitting... can i expect more years of service from a sweated joint????

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
I like sweat stops better than compression for reliability against the compression ring ever leaking. Compression stops can be changed quicker if necessary. I have had to tighten / change out many compression connections that began leaking but have only had to change sweat stops when the valve would not stop water flow. I can't recall any sweat on stops that started leaking at the sweat connection.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I think all stops should be replaced at least every 25 years.
Not that homeowners want them replaced, but they do get old.

If they are compression stops, I can change them fairly quickly.
I also don't worry about starting fires under their cabinets.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
In my humble experience and opinion, compression stops are etremely reliable. If installed correctly so that they do not leak, I don't remember ever seeing one leak later on ( at the compression fitting). The old "Bob-stop" type of course had issues with the stem packing, and the stem washer. Compression valves are easier to install, and change out IF they were not overtightened at first install.

fast pasquale

hardwood flooring contractor
Reaction score
i always thought you had to hack the pipe off at the ferroule when replacing compression...you're still losing pipe... am i missing something???

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
sleeve_puller_2.jpg

That's what sleeve pullers are for.

Solsacre

Plumber
Reaction score
I don't like sleeve pullers..

I own one.

when I can't wiggle the nut and fheral off it's saved me more than once.

Sweat stops? I've never used one.... I think I'd like them more than the other.... but only minor problems with the other. out of 500 i've had 3 leak... crome plating came off.... all the same brand, same house, same day....

The Sleeve pullers can sometimes flare the copper.... but your in a no win situation at that point anyways.... do what you can and don't let it win.

most always you can pull the stop off, leave the nut on and put a new stop on the old nut... no problems.

Always put a 1/4 turn stop on if possable.

good luck

dances-with-pumps

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I keep my dremel with a cutoff wheel in my tool box just in case I run into silly little things like that which will not come off. I'd be afraid to use the sleeve puller for fear of flaring the copper.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
1 thing I don't like about 1/4 turn stops.

A few times while working under sinks with the stops off and faucet and connectors out, I have bumped the valves and turned them on.

Not fun.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
No, I can bump a 3 turn stop and the water won't turn on. With the 1/4 turn all I have to do is bump the handle a little and it turns on.
Yes it is "user error". I have not achieved perfection yet.

Last edited:

TedL

Reaction score
To avoid the flaring, it looks like there's enough room to put a cut down coupling (with full circumference stop) in there before the tool.

I just puchased quarter turn replacements for inside a vanity I may be replacing in a few years, and decided to sweat on male adapters and screw on the stops, so they'd be easier to R&R when installing the new vanity. The male adapters will require a smaller hole, and also sweat faster than the valves.

sleeve_puller_1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks