Replacing Tub & Shower Valve

Users who are viewing this thread

Homeguy

Reaction score
DIY'r, replacing old shower head, faucet, tub spout in 30 yr old home w/ new Danze equipment. I'll be replacing the existing valve assembly with new Danze assembly. Before I get started, question about cutting sheetrock on backside - want to make sure I don't cut more than need to, and make as easy as possible to replace sheetrock/tape/texture when job's complete. Appreciate any tips on that . . .

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I hope you are doing this on the backside of the shower wall!

A large drywall patch is no more difficult to repair than a small one, so give yourself plenty of room. There are many techniques for patching in, but if you make your vertical cuts on C/L of stud, that is one way. 16" horiz. by 24" vert would give you a lot of room.

If you had asked here for recommendations, Danze would not have been one of the recommended brands. It is made by Globe Union Industrial, same company who makes the Glacier Bay/Pegasus line, also now owner of the Gerber line. The chief beef would be poor availability of parts. Ask your supplier how that will work.

RochNY

Reaction score
I had a problem with my old town house with a leaky shower valve (sweat connection) where I had to gain access to the shower via the middle of my hallway dead eye level as you came up the stairs. I cut a big square hole just between the two studs (Mr. Overkill). After the shower repair, I used a repair technique I saw on T.V. where they used two one bye's as backers vertically. Then I screwed the original cut piece back in(after getting the paint matched at Lowes) I used mesh drywall tape, compound (2-3 coats), and some light sanding. Finally, I painted that wall up to match the others. I have very limited drywall experience. Looking down that wall, or staring straight at it, there was no way you could see the patch. If I can do it anyone can.

Rughead

Reaction score
Replacing tub & shower valve.

Hey Homeguy, why don't you consider putting an access panel back in place of the drywall? Could save you grief down the road if/when your replacement valves need repair. Just an idea. Cheers, Rughead.

GoTanklessToday

In the Trades
Reaction score
This reminds me of a long time ago when I was an apprentice. I was assigned to Duke, a krusty old guy who should have gotten the gold watch 10years earlier. For some reason, they just couldn't get him to retire. His knees were shot, he was cranky, he lived in the past, wouldn't adapt to any new methods (you couldnt get him to use channel locks if your life depended on it). But he was one of the finest service plumbers I have ever known.

We went out on a tub-shower valve replacement job one day. I started to saw a hole in the wall with the sawsall and I was trying to be so neat and tidy. Duke shouved me aside and grabbed the saw (mumbling something like "get outta my way kid..."). He commenced to sawing and sawing and ripping and tearing and within 30 seconds, he had a hole we could have taken the tub through. I said "what a mess, its gonna take us hours to patch that hole up". He just smiled and said ..."son... plumbers don't do sheetrock...."

When we were through, Duke told the woman that he didnt want her to fix that sheetrock for at least 3 months. She agreed. She didn't argue at all, but she did ask why 3 months. Duke calmly and with a straight face said "because I want you to be able to admire my work for a while before you cover it up". She said "ok Duke...". He just about had me convinced too, then he busted up laughing.

Old Duke. He was quite a guy. I bet lots of you have a "Duke" or two in your past.

JCH

Reaction score
Homeguy said:
DIY'r, replacing old shower head, faucet, tub spout in 30 yr old home w/ new Danze equipment. I'll be replacing the existing valve assembly with new Danze assembly.
I have a Dantz bathroom faucet and Dantz kitchen faucet.

The finish on both is *terrible*. Barely lasted 3 months before it started to look terrible.

If it's not too late, you may want to consider something with a longer-lasting finish like Delta or Moen.

.../j

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks