Plastic inserts in my new WH

Users who are viewing this thread

Laneman

Reaction score
Bought a new electric Whirlpool WH. At the top where the nipples screw in is a plastic disc in each hole. The hot side has a blue plastic ring with a one way rubber flapper. The cold side has a rubber disc with star shaped slits. I think these would restrict flow, so I would like to remove them. Are they necessary?

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
No they are not necessary. They can be removed. They are heat trap nipples. They keep the heat in the heater when it is not being used by preventing thermal heat transfer. I am not sure how much heat they save but I doubt it is much. I would replace them with dialetric nipples. The ID is slightly larger giving better flow than if you remove the flap from the installed ones.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
A few years ago, dont remember if it was '03 or '04, the govt slightly increased the minumum energy efficiency required in WH. One of the methods use to get an extra point or two on the rating was to install the heat trap nipples.

V

vaplumber

In most cases these things are a waste of effort however if you do not have heat trap loops, ie your pipes run straight up towards the cieling from your heater then yes, leave these devices in or you will regret it. If your pipes run horizontal with a slight dip or trap as they exit the heater then you wont notice any energy differance without these plastic traps, and you will notoce better flow from your hot water.

Cal

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you look inside these nipples you will see that they are diaelectric nipples.

Nice feature ,, you don't have to by them seperate.

Laneman

Reaction score
vaplumber- The 3/4 copper supply pipes rise from the slab, up inside the wall, then go horizontal into the WH. I added Tee fittings at the top of the WH supplies in the wall and continued with 3/4 pex up into the attic, then down to the tub. The WH pipes exit the wall horizontally and go to the heater, but there is no dip. Will there still be a heat loss issue? If so, can I buy a longer flex line and just put a dip or a loop in it?

Mark,I avoided the one with the electronic control box, seemed like something else to go wrong.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks