What material connects pvc p-trap?

Users who are viewing this thread

Jumpyg

Reaction score
Hi, I'm replacing a sink. The old p-trap had a ton of gunk on the inside of it, so I'm replacing that at the same time. However, I don't know what is supposed to be used to seal the connections between the pvc p-trap and the waste line. The old trap had an orange-looking material on it. I'm only familiar with pvc cement, but I know that's not what's used in this case! The next person might just want to disconnect the plumbing himself. :D

Any idea what this "sealer" is called? Thanks!

Jumpyg

Reaction score
hj said:
No, and even if you live in an area that "prohibits' slip joint connections at that point, it would still be the best way to connect it.
HJ, I didn't get what you meant. Isn't there a thread compound of some sort for non-permanent PVC connections? I'm just using a standard PVC kit from Lowe's.

Jumpyg

Reaction score
Terry said:
Most p-traps connect to the waste line with slip joint washers.
These may be clear plastic, rubber, or even brass.
Terry--right, that's like the old installation I took out. However, there was an orange "paste" or something on the threads of the pvc I took out. I'm a novice, so I thought maybe I was supposed to use something similar to pipe dope, which I've used on metal fittings.

By the way, this site is an excellent resource! :)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks