Kitchen leak

Users who are viewing this thread

mrptrmn

Reaction score
Hello...I hope someone can help me.

The kitchen sink & dishwasher in our 4 year old home have always worked properly...until now.

About a month or so ago, we noticed clear water coming from the right base of the dishwasher (DW). We thought maybe we didn't close the door tightly when running it. This happened 2-3 times over the span of 2-3 weeks. Last weekend, however, clear water started coming out of the right and left sides at the base, almost between the DW and the cabinets. We stopped using the DW and turned off the water to it. No new water for almost 4 days. Then, out of the blue, new, clear water, about 1/4 cup coming more from the middle. We had not used the DW or turned the water back on to it. It seems the water appears when we simply use the kitchen sink. There is no water under the sink at all.

Why is simply using our kitchen sink causing water to leak under the DW/cabinets?

Thanks for any insight...

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Well, as I often say, it is time to get on your Dick Tracy hat and grab a flashlight. You need to get up close and personal under the sink , and also remove the front access panel at the bottom of the DW. You need to find where this water is coming from.

You intitial description sounded like a dishwasher door gasket...easy. But now you have to find where the water is coming from after turning off the DW.

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Locating source of water on floor can be an amazing witch hunt. Another of my stories.... I was called to look for a leak that had the dining room carpet wet in an apartment. The water was going into the apartment on the other side too. I pulled up the carpet where it met the vinyl floor in the kitchen, pulled the cover off the toe hole on the back wall following the water under the vinyl floor. Apartment manager had me tearing out walls looking for leaking pipes.... FINALLY I found it... the a/c was dumping water into an air gap in a corner cabinet diagnonally across from where the dining room carpet was wet and was overflowing. I got my hosepipe and baloon thingy, ran it down the drain & blowed it out. Works great and have not been called back. Another 50 cent solution to a $1,000 problem...customer had to replace carpet, base boards, repair drywall, etc. I was the 3rd one they had called to look at the problem... all drains had already been augered & video cameras used.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
Water follows the path of least resistance. The drain may be leaking behind the cabinet, leaking onto the floor, and coming out under the dishwasher.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks