3" PVC stack into Cast iron cleanout

Users who are viewing this thread

snelson57

Reaction score
I am adding a full bath into the 2nd floor of a Cape Cod. I have run a new 3" stack over to the existing cleanout in the floor, which is 4" cast iron. The cleanout has a 3 1/2" brass plug. Is there an adaptor available to bring me from 3" PVC to thread into a 3 1/2" cast iron fitting? What are my options?
Thank you.

Phatbrain

Reaction score
Pipe Sizes - now and then

Greetings Snelson,

I’m curious about your 3.5†pipe. A common mistake with pipe is trying to measure it with a tape measure. If your clean-out plug measures 3.5â€, then what you have is a 3 inch pipe.

It’s kinda like trying to find 2 inches or 4 inches on a 2 x 4 stud. A long time ago (in a land far – far a way…) when steel chemistry was crappy, the pipe walls were thicker. So, an I 1/2 pipe I.D. was 1.5â€.

As steels improved, they were able to make the wall thinner, but to keep the pipe “backwards compatible†with existing fittings, the pipe O.D. was kept the same as before.

Pipe
Size:

1/2" =0.840" o.d.
3/4" =1.050" o.d.
1" =1.315" o.d.

1 1/4" =1.660" o.d.
1 1/2" =1.900" o.d.
2" =2.375" o.d.

2 1/2†=2.875" o.d.
3" =3.500" o.d.
4" =4.500" o.d

5" =5.563" o.d.
6" =6.625" o.d.
8" =8.625" o.d.

10" =10.750" o.d.
12 =12.750" o.d

Phat

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
co

About the only common bushing you will find is a 3 1/2" x 2" one. But the cleanout is not an approved sanitary fitting so you should not connect your drain to it, but should install a proper sanitary tee for the connection and be sure to retain, or provide a new, cleanout in that area.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Phatbrain said:
Greetings Snelson,

I’m curious about your 3.5†pipe. A common mistake with pipe is trying to measure it with a tape measure. If your clean-out plug measures 3.5â€, then what you have is a 3 inch pipe.

Cast iron cleanout tees and cleanout ferrules have a 3 1/2" plug tap. It goes back to the original specification that a cleanout opening had to be the size of the pipe, and a 3 1/2" tap was 4" o.d. and thus was adequate for a 4" pipe. It is still the same with cast iron, but plastic cleanout tees use a plug the same diameter as the pipe. 3 1/2" plugs are made in plastic also for use in cast iron fittings.

Macska

Reaction score
Why can't I use the cleanout to connect an auxiliary DWV stack if I install a new cleanout into the new stack so that it can be used to reach both?

Macska

Reaction score
Edited: HJ, plumguy and Kristi have kindly begun to address my question on another thread. No need to have two threads on the same issue.

Last edited:

jimmie

Reaction score
ummmm

anyways just to answer your question...they do make a 3 1/2" tp 3" reducing bushing =) it's available in both black, and galvanized.

Finnegan

Reaction score
As Jimmie said, A plumbing supply store should carry the fitting you need. I just bought a black fitting and my store had it in stock. It is not a Home Depot item.