Vapor barrier required???

Users who are viewing this thread

TerryT

Reaction score
If I'm using a shower surround over greenboard,do I need a vapor barrier between the studs and board? Or should I forget the greenboard and use cement board? I have to admit that looking at all the different threads,I get more and more confused on what to use. Your opinions and suggestions are appreciated. Thanks

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
What type of surround are you using? Glue to substrate or attach to stud / wall?

TerryT

Reaction score
Its one of the 5 panel glue on kits I bought at HD. Going over an insulated wall. This is it,
http://www.asbcorp.com/subcategory.cfm?subcatid=79
Should I go a different route, or is this OK? Some opinions before I get started on the shower/tub area are appreciated. All there is now is studs with insulation inbetween. If the vapor barrier is needed, whats best to attach it with, staples? Tks.

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I've never used a vapor barrier when installing a fiberglass/plastic shower surround. When installing tile or other material that water can go thru then I definitely use a moisture barrier. A properly installed shower surround should stay totally dry between it and the drywall...therefore, no vapor barrier should be required.... just make sure it is sealed real good. Using a semi-gloss paint in the bath gives a much better seal than flat paint. Good caulking and caulking techniques will keep things dry...and caulk needs a little maintenance over the years.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks