Changing shower hardware

Users who are viewing this thread

KathyRN

Reaction score
I want to change the shower and tub fixtures. The old shower head has a ball valve so I will need to get back behind the tile to do this. There is a linen closed adjacent and should provide access. Do I just cut the sheet rock to see what is behind there? This will be a new plumbing experience for me. I have done fine replacing lines to other projects and have replaced the bathroom and kitchen sink fixtures without problems. My spouse can do everything EXCEPT plumbing (as there is always a leak). Does anyone have any tips before I dive in to this project?

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
You might be able to just enlarge the hole in the ceramic tile a bit to unscrew the old shower head. Try a dremel or rotozip with a carbide bit. Wear eye protection.

You can also use your dremel or rotozip with drywall bit to make the access panel, if you choose to go that route. Set the depth to slightly greater than the thickness of your drywall.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
shower

What, exactly, are you trying to change. If it is just the shower head, then even though it has a ball on the end, it is still just screwed into the pipe in the wall and you do not have to cut anything to unscrew it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks