flange too high (pvc)

Users who are viewing this thread

DanMc

Engineer
Reaction score
wasn't sure if I should start a new thread or tack on the other. I have PVC all the way while the other recent thread has iron in the mix.

2nd floor bathroom. Replacing the tile floor but the the new floor will be on ditra instead of a thick mortar bed. End result is the flange will be too high. Photo is attached.

So my problem is how the heck do you replace a flange when the subfloor is completely in the way? Am I really going to have to take out a section of the subfloor to be able to remove the flange and get a new drain pipe in there to be able to cement a new flange into?

The toilet sits back in a stall sort of area so removing any subfloor will entail cutting it both parallel to and perpendicular to floor joists.

Did I mention this started as a "just paint the bathroom" job?

-Dan

Attachments

• old_flange.jpg
    old_flange.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 283

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
You will have to remove part of the sub floor or 1st floor ceiling, OR you can do the floor and use a marble slab between floor and toilet to make up the difference.

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Is that 4" PVC or 3"? Can you use an inside pipe cutter or hobby tool to cut the flange off then drop in a twist 'n seal (or is it a "spin 'n seal") flange? Or possibly glue in a 4x3 flange?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks