Cold hot water?

Users who are viewing this thread

ticktock

Reaction score
I live in NC so I don't get much cold weather. But, when it does get really cold, sometimes I have no hot water. I mean none. If I turn my faucet on all the way turned to hot (left), nothing comes out. Not even cold water. This has only happened in the morning after really cold nights. And the hot water slowly comes back as the day gets warmer. I have a gas water heater in my garage, which is not heated. Where would the water be freezing? Outside the house or in the garage?

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Frozen pipes

The pipes will freeze first where they are exposed to the coldest temperature. This would likely be outside especially since the garage, although unheated still will provide some protection. Since this is a rare occurance, the easiest thing to do is just to open a faucet enough for a small amount of water to flow during the cold nights. Yes, you will waste some hot water, but that's better than risking a broken pipe. There are other possible solutions, but all would cost more that a little hot water on those rare cold nights you have.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks