Frost-Free Vacuum Breaker Faucet Leaks

Users who are viewing this thread

Upstairs John

Reaction score
:mad:

I have a Mueller/BK frost-free, vacuum breaker hose bibb faucet. After several years, it began to leak through the vacuum breaker cap (with hose attached). I replaced the vacuum breaker with a kit. When I turn on the faucet without the hose, water comes out for a few turns, then the faucet and pipes experience shaking (water hammer?) and water again slowly leaks around the vacuum breaker cap. With the hose attached and the sprayer nozzle closed, the water immediately spurts from the vacuum breaker cap with the same shaking.

I have a ball valve controlling the faucet and a handwheel valve controlling the rest of the house. I've experienced zero water hammer problems in 12 years I've been in the house.

Please save me a ton of $$$ with a suggestion, because this is a difficult to reach faucet for a plumber from the inside.

e-plumber

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Some Ideas

I would suggest removing the stem from the faucet and check for loose parts, (the rattling) replace the bibb washer while it's apart. Also purchase a new vacuum breaker repair kit or a complete vacuum breaker for the hose bibb if the kit that you purchased requires you to reinstall some existing parts.
Worst case scenario, install a whole new frost free hose bibb and be done with it, sometimes this is the way to go instead of spending time attempting repairs.

Upstairs John

Reaction score
ePlumber : I installed a new vacuum breaker kit from Mueller/BK because the original unit seemed to be broken. Replacing the entire bibb would be my plan also, but I tried and can't due to the lack of access and tight space. I was hoping to unscrew the entire valve from the connection, but I can't rotate the unit 360 degrees because the faucet won't clear the siding!

It appears that a plumber is the only solution, but the one that installed it in the first place was never the same and won't return!

Thanks for the help.

PS: Why is the vacuum breaker leaking water? If it's coming out so fast, why doesn't it just go out the faucet?

PEW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
John,

You should be able to find a rebuild kit for the vacuum break, a leak there usually does not require a complete replacement.

However, I have found that in most cases, if you take it apart carefully, it can be cleaned and reinstalled eliminating the problem.

Last edited:

timspiro

Reaction score
timtools

I have the same problem as "Upstairs" and same mfg. I live on L.I., NY and can't locate a rebuild kit. Any suggestions?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks